new macbook typing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hsleiman, Dec 19, 2008.

1. hsleiman macrumors regular

So just got my new macbook today and I've spent a couple hours on iChat... just wondering anyone else's wrists getting cut up by the edge of the laptop?? What do you all do to avoid this?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

There's probably going to be alot of people commenting that you have bad posture. Lowendmac.com had this nice graphic that indicates your wrists shouldn't contact the laptop...

[​IMG]

There are various wrist wrest solutions available for laptops. I've never seen one which I felt was elegant, and I never used one but I know they're out there.

3. hsleiman thread starter macrumors regular

I was expecting to get bashed for bad posture or something eventually by making this thread. But thanks for being helpful and not flaming:D

I was thinking about some sort of gel cushion but with the trackpad being so big and the magnetic latch I don't really see how it would work although that would be a nice solution.

4. Camoischaos macrumors member

You could buy a separate keyboard and just use that instead but thats if you would want to dish out some money for such a small issue.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Get out, do some manual labor, and build up some thick skin on your hands... That should do the trick.

6. phoobo macrumors regular

agreed

Fully agree, there is no call for sharp edges on an object your hands will be on for many hours a day. I am in touch with some (2) design people at Apple, who acknowledge that this is a problem - but understandably they are not actively working on the next generation design yet. Still, they have it in mind.

Much web surfing does not happen in the standard typing position anyway, so the arguments about posture are not really cogent.

A layer of ductape over the edge is one solution. (Also keeps your hands off the bare aluminum, a sensation that many people find creepy.) I am thinking about crafting a fix in leather, or perhaps just filing down the edge of the machine.

7. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

long sleeves maybe a good temporary solution during this time of the year but when summer rolls along....hmm..

wristbands too?

8. phoobo macrumors regular

not a bad idea at all

Yes, i've also had success with the stuff they sell to people with carpal tunnel: wristbands, lower-arm splints made of plastic, etc. The Ace bandage people make a whole line. I find the plastic splints (i.e. non-velcro stuff) is by far the most durable.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Sitting rigidly upright like in those pictures, especially while the Macbook is on your lap, is a great way to advertise you're a dork.

10. ebika macrumors 6502

Yes, because hunched over a computer screams "I'm cool!" ;)

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i used to have this issue with my white macbook, the aluminum is way softer and doesnt cut my wrists at all.

12. cerhard macrumors member

I used to feel the same way but you get used to it pretty quickly. Hang in there.

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Hah! Touche. I set myself up for that one.

14. brattymack macrumors newbie

Use a fine grit sandpaper or drywall sanding sponge and work out the edges. You won't notice a difference in the look (on the white version I can vouch for) and it will feel better. Then you can write back to the wankers who say you have bad posture.

15. morphalex macrumors member

Are you guys serious?! LOL I switched over to Macs but I didn't expect people to complain about such minute(sp?) things.

16. ebika macrumors 6502

I'm a bit puzzled by the calls to sand down laptops. Please, someone post their pictures of a macbook on a belt grinder. I know it is inevitable and will make me giggle.

17. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I get this to.. But its only when I'm using the trackpad OR when I'm typing in a "bad posture". Seriously I don't care about posture because the way I type gets it done fine. And I don't poke and hope. ;)