New MacBook (Unibody) sleeps but instantly wake's back up. **update**

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crom8i3, Dec 24, 2008.

1. crom8i3 macrumors newbie

Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread....

After a week of owning this great computer I closed the lid to put it to sleep last night (same as i do every night) and the sleep indicator light dimmed as it would when it goes to sleep. I heard the HD and fan turn off as normal. But as soon as the front light dimmed all the way the apple icon flashed for a split second and the HD started back up and the sleep indicator light stayed brightly lit for about 10-15 seconds. It would then dim again as if it was going to sleep and start this cycle all over again. I didn't realize this until i was laying in bed and heard my HD start up every few seconds.

I tried restarting the computer and nothing changed. Nothing is running in my dock except for finder. I tried putting it to sleep with the lid open and it went to sleep, but then just came back awake within a few seconds. I went to click shutdown and it restarted. I tried to shutdown once more and it just restarted. I did a hard shutdown and then turned it on and tried to put it to sleep and it still was the same....

Any suggestions? I'm new to mac so I'm very naive with these still. Thanks...

Edit: I'd also like to add that my computer now gets very very very hot on the bottom with nothing running. Not nearly as hot as a few days ago. I don't know if it's related.

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I hope this isn't the same problem that plagues my 18 month old white Macbook - I would hope they've fixed it by now although I don't believe Apple ever officially recognized my problem.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Bluetooth module getting too hot and freaking out the system when you put it to sleep, so it wakes up the computer. Have you had a squiggle through your bluetooth indicating it was not available? When mine gets too warm the bluetooth goes unavailable; I've since installed SMC Fan Control and have to crank the fans at 5000rpm for a few minutes to get the bluetooth back online, and then 90% of the time I'll be able to put it to sleep.

It's VERY annoying, especially on a notebook. The reason yours keeps kicking on and off is because it's shut, which tells it to go to sleep. Then it wakes up, realizes it's shut and goes back to sleep; repeat.

3. crom8i3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't used the bluetooth yet. The bluetooth icon is still up on the top tho. It's just wierd cause it was working normal just a day ago, no problems going to sleep.

Yeah. That's what I figured.

It's wierd that it just happened last night and the computer is only a week old. I haven't downloaded any programs or done anything significant in the last couple of days other than burning some CD's.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Reset the SMC. It contains stuff on sleep and chances are something has got corrupt in there.

And for what it's worth, you might as well reset PRAM while your at it, just in case something has got corrupt in there too.

5. crom8i3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the SMC using your link and did it both ways (removing battery and the macbook air method), each with no joy. Thanks for the info tho kilamite.

Guess it's off to the "genius bar" i go...unless someone else has any ideas...

6. thanachai macrumors member

I had the same problem!

My new aluminum MacBook would go to sleep fine (light would glow) but wake up about 20 seconds later (light solid) for less than a minute and repeat the same process. Google found nothing conclusive and the boards on Apple did not have a resolution.

In my case, the answer was simple. I noticed when I moved my Bluetooth mouse while the MacBook was briefly asleep, it woke it up. So I figured it was my BT mouse that was causing the annoying issue. In the Bluetooth section Under Keyboard & Mouse in System Preferences, I unchecked Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer. My MacBook sleeps like a brick now ;)

Are you also using a BT mouse? I hope that this works for you. If it doesn't please share what the Mac Genius tells you.

7. crom8i3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not using anything bluetooth or USB related. just the bare bones laptop. which is odd 'cause everyone is blaming this problem on bluetooth and USB devices when i have yet to use either on this macbook. i will try to keep this thread updated.

8. bazmarc macrumors newbie

About NEW macbook not sleeping

there is one workaround and that is to set the hibernation mode from 3 to 1 which then make the sleep default to a full hibernation,,,

Code:
    Last login: Tue Jan  6 20:25:26 on console
    m:~ bazmac$ pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
     hibernatemode	3
    m:~ bazmac$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

However i was not satisfied with that solution so i took my dear MBP to the genius bar and they found out that what was causing the systematic wake of my system was a Kensington 7-in-1 Media Reader for ExpressCard Slot i had in there since i got my mac,,, (to read my camera's sd card) --- as soon as i popped it out,,, my computer sleeps like a baby (under hibernatemode 3 like it's supposed to)

Conclusion:
    mac won't sleep is either affected by BT mouse, something on the USB or (now we know) an Express Card inserted in the slot!! -- possible workaround is modifying the hibernatemode.

Enjoy. :D

9. shiny.berry macrumors newbie

That just happened to me! :mad:

I manually made my macbook sleep and waited a few seconds for the hard drive to stop running completely and it seems to be working. I'll probably try it again later though, just to double check but hopefully that'll keep my macbook nice and sleepy.

10. crom8i3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input, however i think it's irrelivent because, as i stated before, i have nothing plugged into the computer. i have no bluetooth enabled mouse, keyboard, etc around it. i even tried it with the bluetooth turned off. just the bare bones computer. still wouldnt go to sleep. my macbook is actually at the apple store as i write this getting some hardware replaced. i think it was the superdrive that kept waking it up. i'll update this thread when i get it back and learn what my problem was.

i couldn't even manually make it sleep. it kept waking up. it would go to sleep completely then the superdrive would spool up like there was a disc in it that it was trying to read and wake back up instantly. if the lid was closed it would go thru this cycle of sleeping and waking up all night. probably over a hundred times. i'll keep this updated.

11. crom8i3 thread starter macrumors newbie

just got back from the apple store and they informed me that after replacing the logic board and other components it still had the problem and pretty much said it was out of their hands. since the computer was only 3-4 weeks old they offered to replace it with a new one. so i guess i'll never know what exactly the problem was but i have a new-new macbook coming my way...