Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
I currently have a Late 2012 Mac mini & Late 2013 Mac Pro that I use regularly.

I also have an iPad Air that I use extensively, and a 13" Mid 2011 MacBook Air that isn't used much at all (although it is really handy sometimes).

I frequently use the iPad Air in bed. I've tried using the 13" MacBook Air in bed and just haven't figured out a way to use it comfortably.

I've also tried using various generation iPad's with a 3rd-party keyboard, and an iPad mini with a 3rd-party keyboard in bed and found them unappealing.

Is the $1749 Macbook (512GB, 1.3Ghz) an upgrade from a ~$812 iPad Air 2? (especially when reclined)

The MacBook would ideally replace both the iPad Air & 13" MacBook Air.

HardBall

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
It's definitely light enough to be used in bed.

I have used a small Acer chromebook in bed before, which is slightly heavier than the rMB, and the ergonomics were fine, as long as you don't anticipate doing hours of typing there. The trackpad is slightly harder to use than a touch screen when you are almost laying horizontal, but the chromebook also has a tiny trackpad compared to the rMB.

ChromeOS is very limited though, and also with very little app support, so that eventually sunk that idea. I would bet that rMB would be more than usable in that situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.