New MacBook...USB confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TangoCharlie27, Sep 7, 2016.

1. TangoCharlie27 macrumors member

My MacBook Air, which I loved, has finally given up the ghost and I have just ordered a Macbook to replace it.

I am hoping it will be as thin and lightweight. But the USB confuses me. When I purchased the Macbook, the website offered me several adaptors. All I want to do is to transfer my iTunes library from the Macbook Air and to connect my iPod to it.
    Do I need a USB adaptor?

Thanks.

2. solo118 macrumors 65816

You will simply need a USB adapter. Why spend big bucks at apple though? Check out what amazon has to offer at half the price!

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    You will be delighted at how thin and light the MacBook is -- even more so than the original MacBook Air or its successors!

Yes, you should go ahead and invest in an adapter, whether it is Apple's or some other brand's version that provides USB and other connectivity. I bought the Apple adapter which includes a USB-C port (for charging the rMB while also doing something else), an HDMI port and a standard USB-A port. This way I can plug in one of my USB 3.0 external drives or something else that is USB 3.0 to my new rMB. I also have discovered, though, that I can use the USB-C cable which comes with the rMB to connect it to an external SSD (Samsung T-3) which also uses USB-C, and that works well for transferring or looking at files on the external drive. In this situation, though, both devices have the USB-C connectivity.

I used one of my Seagate external USB-A 3.0 drives to collect the files and folders that I wanted to transfer to the new rMB and then used the Apple adapter to transfer everything through its USB-A port with a standard USB 3.0 cable while still keeping the rMB charging as well. Hope this helps!

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

The MacBook is the last thing I'd buy now - as much as I've been lusting after it ever since it came out.

With Apple just releasing the iPhone 7, surely the current MacBook is dead in the water?

MacBook: USB-C and headphone jack.
    iPhone 7: Lightning and no headphone jack.

The MacBook is now obsolete as it's clearly not in-line with Apple's future plan. Or am I wrong?

5. TangoCharlie27 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks .
    People were building standard USB sockets next to mains sockets, they can even be found in TV's. So now they are all obsolete?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Will this adapter do the job?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0179TU9SW

Thanks.

6. carestudio macrumors 6502

Apple has you covered nicely. you can get an Apple lightning to USB-C cable to connect from your MacBook to your iPod.
    also check this post and you will know how to connect your iOS devices to your MacBook through a dock to do fast charging or data sharing
    http://crazydiamondstar.blogspot.com/2016/08/usb-c-dock-best-baymax-for-macbook.html

or just a cable from Apple if you are not looking for charging and video features while connecting your iPod
    https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MKQ42AM-USB-C-Lightning-Cable/dp/B01DPSJQRG