New Macbook user, few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cibernetico, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Cibernetico macrumors newbie

hey guys, new mac user here and wanted to ask a few things regarding this specific Mac I just inherited.

So my sister pretty much gave me what appears to be a bone stock 2008 unibody Macbook. All she ever used it for was the internet and watching YouTube so she never really used it past that. The battery can't hold a charge so I'm going to pretyt much buy a new one most ikely later this week.

But anyway, I've done some research and it seems like the two key upgrades to this model is Ram and an SSD drive. Are there any other upgrades besides these two I should look into? Are there preferred brands of RAM and SSD that same users recommend? If so, can someone be nice enough to post some links to them? I want to upgrade this thing quickly because the load times are a bit annoying right now. I'll be buying Mountain Lion for it(according tot he list it is going to be supported) when it becomes available whenever it does because right now I'm stuck with OSX 10.4 I believe.

As for what I'm going to do with it, to be honest I don't know yet. I was thinking of doing some light live streaming with it, but will this thing be strong enough to handle streaming? I'm most likely looking at doing at most 5 hours a week right now.

thanks for any replies in advance and cheers!

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Wouldn't bother with an ssd if its only going to see 5hrs a week use.

RAM and SSD are the main upgrades, but it sounds like that battery is the most important one right now.

3. Cibernetico thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm pretty much just going to upgrade the RAM. I'll live with the somewhat slower load times because like I said, at most I'm just going to use it for some light Live streaming on Twitch.tv. And the HDD has some pretty damn good space so I'm not going to be in no rush to load it up.

Are there an other things I should look into? Any must have apps?

4. Cibernetico, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

Cibernetico thread starter macrumors newbie

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

All depends on how you use it, normally don't need anything too fancy for a bit of live streaming.