New macbook user- fishing/spyware/adware concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Aug 18, 2010.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I am a new macbook user and understand very little about computers. I am aware that macs are basically "immune" to catching viruses. In fact, the person at the apple store told me that he had only ever heard of one virus ever affecting a mac before and not to worry about getting an AV. Whether or not that is true, of course people are telling me that it is only a matter of time before more viruses are developed for macs, but for now i am safe b/c even if a virus is on your mac- "it is designed for PC, and therefore cannot convert"...

...Thats all fine. My question is whether or not my mac is able to catch trojans, fishing, adware, spyware....I am concerned about losing my identity/ credit card info over the net. Is mac secure for these things, and if not, what do you recommend to prevent me from encountering any of these problems ?

all advice is appreciated

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey macs are quite amazing after 4 years of pretty aggressive downloading and computer use i have never had a virus, and have no anti virus ware, but macs are not immune i think like less then 2% of viruses are mac compatible, if you don't fall any stupid tricks ie "scanning your pc for viruses, 3 founds" or mass email frauds from friends you will have no issues, but be aware that they are there although rare, keep time machine on an external disk and LOVE you mac

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

GGJStudios Virus Primer:

/////////

I think you made this up.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You have a zero chance of getting a virus, trojan, or worm, I can promise you that. Most viruses and stuff of the like are made on Mac's for PC's. Therefore, if someone made a Mac virus on a Mac, it would crash their own system.

Also, the term is phishing, not fishing. There's a difference :p. We're talking about stealing information, not catching fish. Anyways, phishing is a newer scheme that many, many, many people fall for. There's really nothing a Mac can do to prevent this - I could literally make a page right now that would look like, for example, the login to Facebook. As soon as you type in your username and password, I'd get notified and would have your information. There is no protection against this - use common sense. If the URL in your browser, for example, isn't facebook.com, and you're seeing a facebook login, don't log in.

As for adware and spyware, you'll be fine. Like I said, your chances of getting anything that will cause harm to your Mac are like .1%. However, if you enter your admin password somewhere, and it alters a system file, you could do some damage there.

I guess out of all I wrote above, the main key thing here is use COMMON SENSE! If something doesn't look right, don't download it, and especially don't enter your admin password to install something that doesn't seem right.

5. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Viruses? No, none exist for the Mac.

Trojans? A few exist, but you'll only get them if you download certain pirated apps from The Pirate Bay or other torrent sites.

Adware? As far as I know, not on Macs.

Malware? Only a few incidences of malware exist for the Mac in the wild, and it's pretty damn hard to get any of them on your computer.

Phishing? This is done over the internet, and no operating system will protect you from it.

If you do want an antivirus app, try ClamXav. It's free, and you can use it to scan your own stuff, as well as things you want to send to Windows users.