New MacBook user - how to organize files?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iwannamac, Dec 21, 2010.

1. iwannamac macrumors member

New MacBook user. Formerly used Lightroom on my PC to organize digital pics, but have used iPhoto since purchasing the MacBook. Now, at a point where I want to move my iPhoto library from the MacBook harddrive and start using my external USB drive (via the AirPort Extreme). I would also like to import the pictures I already had on this external drive into iPhoto so that all my pictures are in one spot, and are able to be accessed through iPhoto via the AirPort.

So to sum, want to move files from MacBook to external drive, merge them with already existing files, and use iPhoto to manage them all.

Did that make sense? What's the best way to accomplish this?

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Why not use the Lightroom media to install the Mac version - it comes on the same disk

3. iwannamac thread starter macrumors member

Good point. But now that I've already imported some files into my iPhoto library, how do I get those out to use with Lightroom? When I look in Finder, all I can find is a folder called iPhoto library. When I go to click on it, it opens up iPhoto.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Right clicking on this iphoto library folder will allow to look at all your photos if you select "show enclosing folder"

Aperture has the option to import an iPhoto library so I don't know if the same thing is achievable in Lightroom!

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

My suggestion is to decide now which application you want to use to manage your photos, LR or iPhoto, and then let that application do all the work for you.

Both use databases to keep track of where their photos are. If you move photos around using the Finder, the application's database loses track of where the image. iPhoto tries to protect you from mucking up it's DB by "hiding" the library of image, though as acearchie has pointed out you can "find" it with a right click. LR doesn't hide the library, so you can muck it up easily (though it's not hard to put it right. I mostly use LR, and I messed my library up last week while I was trialling another LR-like program).

I used LR for the bulk of what I do with my images. I have an "export preset" for when I want a bunch of images to be available to iPhoto. The only features I personally like in iPhoto are some of the printing packages, the book making etc (in other words, face recognition and the geo stuff aren't useful to me.) So I will export from LR the images I want to use in an iPhoto project. (These images are copied to iPhoto, and in theory I should delete them from iPhoto when I'm done, but I never get around to it. All they do is take up space)

Anyway, that is all background as why I do things the way I do, they may not be applicable to you.

In either case, the procedure will be the same (more or less), I think. Once you have picked either LR or iPhoto as the one you want to use.
    1) Move an existing Catalogue or Library to the external HD.
    2) Use the application to find and import the images from the other location(s). "Move" the images, otherwise you will either have duplicates, or the library will be physically scattered across multiple locations.

Brief on detail, I know 'cause I haven't had to do this in awhile, but once you know the key words, the Help functions are actually very good. And of course, you can always ask here for specific help.

Good Luck