New Macbook user, quick question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gr3y Goose, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Gr3y Goose macrumors newbie

I just recent purchased the black macbook...ive been a pc guy my whole life and im really enjoying this new interface...its exciting and something different.

My question is when i put a cd in a have to really push it til the machine actually takes it from me. is that normal? and part 2- when the cd is starts getting pulled in it makes a sharp clicking noise...are these two things normal?

2. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I'm actually a fellow switcher (see my sig!) and have a MacBook Pro, however I figure I might as well throw in my "two cents" anyway. I can't really speak to the "have to really push the CD in" part, but I will say that whenever I put a CD into my drive it sounds like something is breaking inside, and there is a sharp (and somewhat loud) clicking noise. My MacBook Pro opitical drive has been going strong for over a year, so I'm assuming that it's not a huge deal!

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You do have to push it in until the machine recognises it.

The drives are LOUD. So loud that apple had to make a knowledge baase article about them. See some sound examples here. If your drive sounds like that then it is fine.

Congrats on your purchase.

4. zango macrumors member

yea you kind of have to push it a bit, i just got a blackbook too, and i thought it was making weird noises (the slot drive), but look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1723?viewlocale=en_US

and listen to what it should normally sound like and see if yours is similar.

haha, one time, when i ejected the disk, it actually SHOT out of the drive, i was like :eek:

killer blackbook :D

5. Gr3y Goose thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Quick replies and great information! Apparently my drive is ok and the sounds are normal. This seems like a great forum to get my info from i appreciate the help guys.