New Macbook v. Refurbished MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eidrunner247, Oct 14, 2008.

1. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Title says it all. Not doing anything graphic intensive and I am looking to replace my Powerbook.

I can get the Macbook for $1,249 or I can get a refurbished MBP for $1,349 or $1,499.

Any thoughts. I am leaning more toward the MBP, but I'm curious as to what other people think.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

alternative

Or, if you're not doing anything graphics intensive, you can wait a day or two for everyone to dump their "old" macbooks on ebay and snatch one up for a bargain.

Use mac2sell.net as a pricing guide, and use that in your negotiations. Usually you can get one less than a year old, and buy applecare off of ebay or craigslist.

3. disco2000 macrumors newbie

Ah I didn't see this thread before making mine about the same topic..

Anywho, will it be cheaper to buy from the Apple store or an Apple retailer?

4. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. dougnewman macrumors 6502

If the 15" MBP is too big for you, go with the MB.

Otherwise, I think the MBP is easily worth the extra $100. It'll be faster, it has a bigger, better higher-resolution display (and matte if you like), much better graphics card, FireWire, etc. Most (including me) seem to think the keyboard is also much better than the new-style one (which I hate, and I've been using one for over a year on my white MB).

6. alanlindsay macrumors member

Refurb MBP for $1350 is a great deal. I'd go for that personally.

7. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the thing - I tend to swing between wanting either one. The refurb MBP is a great deal, but I almost feel like I would purchase it simply because it's a great deal (that's okay though).

At the same time, for what I do (student) I don't play any games (not because my computer cannot handle any, but because I don't have time) or do anything aside from the occasional iMovie.

I tell myself I like having the options that the MBP provides "in-case" I ever need them, but as I look at the past year - I have used iMovie once, and used most of it for word processing...

So then I start to lean toward the Macbook...

8. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

9. dougnewman macrumors 6502

If you don't need the extra features of the MBP but it won't cost more to have them, why not have them? :)