New MacBook versus refurbished MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vidd, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I know there are countless MB v MBP topics but this is slightly different.
    I have a budget that extends to around £1000 but it won't stretch to the MBP because I don't think it's wise spending so much on a laptop.

I might go for the iMac but for the sake of argument, is it better to go for a brand new (black ;)) Macbook or a refurbished Macbook Pro?
    eBay seems to vary so much that it's not giving me a good idea of what to go for.

What can I reasonably expect?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

if i were you, I would pick up the refurb macbook pro. Refurbished products are very high quality, and much cheaper than new ones. Look at it this way, no matter what computer you choose, in about a years time, they will both have a little wear and tear on them. At that point, it boils down to what you would rather have (at nearly the same price point), a Macbook or a faster, better Macbook Pro. :) I own both, and i'm telling you you will be happier with the macbook pro.

3. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

personally, i'd go for the pro.... unless of course you just LOVE a black laptop so much ;)

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Macbook Pro all the way. Plus, since its refurbished, any broken stuff has been fixed so you dont have to worry about yellow screens and bad ram/hds.

..Sorry for the typing mistakes.. new keyboard and it kind of sucks.

6. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I own a 2.0 Ghz black MacBook and a 2.16 Ghz MacBook Pro (pre-Santa Rosa). Both are Core 2 Duos.

I got the Pro a few months after the blackBook. I barely touch the blackBook anymore and have decided to use it exclusively as a travel laptop.

Spec-wise, it's great and runs fantastically. But in terms of fit and finish, it just doesn't compare to the pro.

The pro feels like a solid machine. The blackBook feels like a fisher price toy.

Go for the pro - even if it is a refurb.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have had 4 macbooks now own a MBP there is no way i will ever go back to a macbook EVER!

Do what feels right :)

8. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

If you don't need the power of the MBP, try a refurbed MB. People that ask here "MB vs MBP - I use Word, E-mail, and MSN. Maybe some iTunes. The occasional handbrake, what should I get?" People always tell them to get a MBP when a MB would suite their needs perfectly.

I suggest refurbed MB. :)

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

But the comfort and quality is much better in the MBP, I wish i bought this a few macbook ago instead of wasting all that money!

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

11. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

So the MB's are of lesser quality than the MBP's? :rolleyes:

If he wants to spend that extra couple hundred dollars for a MBP, when he only needs a MB, just for the superior "comfort & quality" then more power to him.

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'd get a refurbished black MacBook for £799, and spend £200 on accessories, that no doubt you will need anyway, even if you get a MacBook Pro, which would then make you go over your budget.

Or, you could wait a month or two to see if some new MacBooks come out at the same time as Leopard.

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I have the mid-range MB and it is perfect for me. We can't answer this question for you. If you are going Blackbook anyway, maybe you should get the MBP. If I were you, I would get the Blackbook, but I don't need MBP.

Also, please consider the screen size in your decision. I wanted 13" screen. Are you happy with that screen? Or do you need a 15" screen?

I know it's hard to make a decision with such a large amount of money. :) But, you have to follow your heart with everything.

14. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I don't understand. You're deciding between a refub MBP and a new MB.

You've shown that:

1. a refurb is acceptable to you
    2. a MB is acceptable to you.

Why not combine them and get a refurb macbook? You could then buy extras like a nice big LCD screen, external HD, 3 year applecare etc.

(I own a PB15, and I'm getting a MB (probably refurb) as I need something more transportable.)

15. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

the macbook pro is a much better machine, definately go for the MBP!

16. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

To be honest, I never thought about it that way.
    I only considered getting a refurbished MBP because I didn't want to spend as much as a brand new one.
    I'll look into that more when refurbs start appearing in the UK store; for some reason my browsers aren't displaying any.

EDIT: Can anyone see refurbs in the UK store?

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You need to get up earlier :)

They're there most mornings, but run out quite quickly. I can't remember if the store opens at 7am or 8am, but check around that time for the best choice. Some real bargains there.