New MacBook, VMware configuration guidance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redbergy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. redbergy macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I finally persuaded the powers that be at my office to buy me a MacBook Pro instead of the Dells that everyone else gets. This will be my first Mac experience in a long time (10 years or so) so bare with me here.

I definitely have to have Windoze on the machine so I can keep up some development projects that aren't cross-platform - which leads to my question.

What is the best/most efficient way of running Windoze in VMWare Fusion?

Do you guys recommend (and forgive me if I get something wrong here) running BootCamp to repartition my drive into two partitions one for windoze, one for OSX - and then run Windoze from the separate partition?

Or is it better (performance-wise and feature-wise) to keep a VMWare image file of Windoze on my OSX partition?

I'm looking for someone to give me pros and cons with both ways.

Obviously I know I can't boot into Windoze separately if I go the VMWare image way, however I'm assuming I won't need to based on what I've heard about how well VMWare Fusion runs in OSX. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

I'm thinking it may be easier to transfer files back and forth if Windoze is on a separate drive/partition - is this the case or is it just as easy to transfer files between an image file and the real harddrive (maybe through a "fake" networked drive or just simple drag and drop?)

I will be using iWork for most things, however I will have Office 2k3 installed on the Windows machine - and I understand that I can set OSX to automatically launch VMware and open .doc/xls/ppt files in Office inside of the VMware virtual machine. Can this be done with both the image and partition method?

Any other tips/tricks/pitfalls to avoid would be great. I'm really looking forward to getting my Mac and this is the only thing I have left to figure out. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm using Vmware 1.1RC and I LOVE it. It runs very fast. I think you will like Unity feature. I setup Vmware to work off of both Bootcamp and vmware file. the only con is that if you are using a bootcamp partition, you will not be able to do snapshots and suspend feature. Plus if you think your going to do any gaming, you might need Bootcamp. Otherwise, MS office apps etc.. will work perfect via Vmware.

Between the 2, both run around the same speed, so if you don't care about snashots or suspend, than go with Bootcamp setup so you have the option to run both if you ever want to.

3. redbergy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I do play some wow every now and then but that runs on mac. I guess there is a small chance i may need to actually boot into windows so i'll probably go the bootcamp route. As far as access to the osx file system from windows and vice versa... Is it as simple as drag and drop?