New Macbook vs. iBook G4 14"

Rovias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Just wondering...if the new Macbooks do come with a 1.5 GHz Core Solo and integrated graphics, what would the performance be like stacked up against the current 14" iBook G4?

I do some *light* video and photo editing from time to time. By light, I mean using iPhoto, iMovie HD, and occasionally Final Cut Express. I'm wondering if native versions of these apps would run speedier on the G4 than on the Intel chip. Other than that, I'll just be using it for word processing (running Pages), web surfing, some dabbling in Garageband, and of course MS Office.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
1. core solo + integrated graphics = not much better than ibook, if at all
2. core solo + dedicated graphics (unlikely) = not much better on photos but better on video
3. core duo + integrated graphics = a lot faster, especially on photos
4. core duo + dedicated graphics = a lot faster on everything

we just don't know what the macbooks will look like yet.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah, that's a good list. It's safe to say Core Duo will make an appearance, which means Universal binaries will be 2-3x faster.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
QCassidy352 said:
1. core solo + integrated graphics = not much better than ibook, if at all
2. core solo + dedicated graphics (unlikely) = not much better on photos but better on video
3. core duo + integrated graphics = a lot faster, especially on photos
4. core duo + dedicated graphics = a lot faster on everything

we just don't know what the macbooks will look like yet.
If they went with the core duo + dedicated graphics I would buy one the day they were available, like I did this one. I really hope they do that. If they did that, i'd have to sell mine! Do I really want to be a beta hardware tester for Apple though?

I'd do it! hahah

Z

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
if there are integrated graphics, i won't be able to help feeling like my relatively ancient but trusty iBook will have a leg up on the new Macbooks.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I basically agree with the list, but I'd like to add that an integrated Intel GMA 950 would handicap the new Macbook pretty severely if you want to do any gaming (or also probably video editing on it). Even a Core Duo model with a 128 MB Intel GMA950 will fall short of the current iBook with a dedicated 32MB Radeon 9550 in most games. The Intel Core processor is very solid, but a lot of what you'd be using your new i/Macbook for is pretty heavy optimized for the G4's Altivec, so I don't know if a Core Solo would be worth it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
quietmind said:
if there are integrated graphics, i won't be able to help feeling like my relatively ancient but trusty iBook will have a leg up on the new Macbooks.
Same here. And we won't be kidding ourselves, either; the radeon 9500 is really a good bit better than the GMA950. I don't think I'll be selling this baby for a while (not until rev. B MBP maybe) unless there are dedicated graphics options on the MB. 3 more days and we'll know. :)

Pokeon

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
-= Somewhere in space =-
QCassidy352 said:
Same here. And we won't be kidding ourselves, either; the radeon 9500 is really a good bit better than the GMA950. I don't think I'll be selling this baby for a while (not until rev. B MBP maybe) unless there are dedicated graphics options on the MB. 3 more days and we'll know. :)
I really hope its some kind of dedicated gfx card... I wanna dump this P4 on my desktop for a MacBook... And give the P4 to my sister and parents to destroy with their non-techniess + windows. Oh that its not too $$$

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
quietmind said:
Man I've always thought of the iBooks as sort of a portable iMac (at least thats how they've been advertised in the past). If the iMac had integrated graphics then the Macbook would too. Mac mini's on the other had are made to be super lowend macs. So I could understand that model having integrated graphics, but an iBook cost several hundreds more and I'd really be surprised if apple went a cheaper route with the MacBook.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Don't kid yourself, a Core Solo with Intergrated Video would still be a noticeable improvement over the ancient G4 chip.