New MacBook vs new old MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smileynev, Oct 16, 2008.

1. smileynev macrumors newbie

I am debating between purchasing the previous generation white macbook, either with our without the superdrive, or the low end new aluminum macbook. I've used macs most of my life, my last one being the first generation ibook g4. I sold that and went strictly PC for awhile, but would like to get back into OS X.

I am primarily purchasing the macbook to organize and edit family photos and videos. I would also like to purchase a new HD camcorder that records in the AVCHD format. I might do a small amount of gaming, but nothing that the 3100 on the old macbook can't handle.

The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on the white macbook is the fear that GPU acceleration will really take off in snow leopard. Without seeing benchmarks I have a feeling that the low end aluminum macbook will perform similarly to the old white macbook in most applications, given the processor and bus speed differences. Using the current version of imovie, I think movie editing performance will more than likely equal out, unless i am unaware of any GPU specific acceleration in that application.

I don't need the LED screen. I don't care about the new form factor. I think that the faster bus is offset by the 100 mhz difference in processor speeds. The new touchpad does not excite me in the least.

I am always of the opinion that the less I spend on something the better. So, keeping all the above information in mind, is there any reason for me to purchase the new macbook over the old.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

The new MacBooks have no firewire connection, so if your camcorder doesn't support USB out you'd be better off getting a white MacBook or a refurb MacBook Pro.

3. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The old MacBook is still fine for basic use. If the price difference is important to you, go for it.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

New one is more durable and lighter. Better battery life, glass screen, less strain your eyes.

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Power wise (excluding some graphic games) the old one is as good as the new one. So if the old one is good only for basic use then I guess the new one is only good for basic stuff as well. BTW I do a lot more than basic stuff with my black Macbook. Maybe Apple made mine a special super duper one. :rolleyes: