New Macbook vs Old Macbook Pro... What to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by burkey, Oct 21, 2008.

1. burkey macrumors newbie

I’m trying to decide whether I should buy the new Macbook or the old Macbook Pro. Since the new Pro came out, the previous version can be bought new in the range of $1400 and $1500. I’m not concerned with the different casing or the multi-touch trackpad that the Macbook offers, but do prefer a 15” to a 13” screen. Given that the prices are very similar, is there any reason to buy the new Macbook over the old Macbook Pro? From a performance standpoint, which notebook is better? Thanks for the feedback!

2. BwanaZulia macrumors regular

Since you don't care about any of the features on the new MacBook and want a 15" screen, go for the old pro.

BZ

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If I were in your position, I would get the old Macbook Pro.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The front bus speeds are a little better in the new macbook i think.... other than that its pretty much cosmetic and since the old macbook pro was already aluminum then its really not that big a deal. plus the old macbook pro was already LED, and already had a light up keyboard, and a dedicated GPU really these are the big selling points in the new macbook, and the old macbook pro already has these. So in case you havent realized it my vote is for the old macbook pro...... unless you are one of those people that has to have the latest (like me lol which is why i'm getting the new macbook pro this weekend.)

5. marvel2 macrumors 6502

You will not be disappointed with the 'old' MBP.

6. EricJD macrumors regular

If you want the larger screen, then definitely go with the MBP.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Going through the same thing. Love the new MB and MBP, but the old one is such a deal.

Can get the old MBP refurbed for 1500 (including tax) or I can drive to Oregon and get the new MB for 1499 total or new MBP for 1899 (student).

What to do. What to do . Was hoping I wouldn't like the new style, but it is great. Really solid engineering and seems very sturdy. Leaning towards a new MB, as I have a home gaming rig and want it to be portable.

Whats your reason for the indecision?

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would go with the new MB as the old macbook pro's gpu is prone to failure.

9. tbae12 macrumors member

From a performance stand point, the macbook pro is better than the new macbooks. Also, you're getting a lot more for your money.

10. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Well I had one of the previous generation MPB and I will say that the new one seems to run cooler.

It's obviously going to run a bit faster with the higher end procs (2.53 and 2.8)

The thing I really like better between the two is the updated keyboard. I know it sounds like a minor thing, but the chiclet keyboard is much, much easier to type on than the old concave keys. And as someone who does a lot of typing, it matters to me. But to each his own.

The GPU upgrade is what makes the biggest difference. The 9600M is faster than the 8600M by a decent amount, and it runs slightly cooler (according to some IR thermometer measurements posted on one of the enthusiast forums).

The DDR3 runs cooler than the DDR2 system RAM, although it only gives you a marginal performance boost. But again, latencies on DDR3 are still improving and have a bit of room to do so. DDR2 has hit its peak already.

In summary, it really depends on what you're doing with it. If you don't need the maybe (rough estimate, haven't done any personal tests) 10% performance gain, go with the older ones since you can find them pretty cheap now.

11. zbug macrumors newbie

Go with the old one, i would not replace my old line up with the new ones ( i have all of them )

1) lack of FW
    2) Lack of Duel Link DVI ( u have to buy a 99$ adapter )
    3) Lack of a Matt Screen

Honestly i wish there was a way to tell loyal apple users to NOT BUY any of the new line up, apple is becoming another junk company that is trying to sell products. I have been a mac user since god knows when and i have seen alot of changes some are good but alot are bad.

Someone start a website or something informing people to unite and not buy any of the new lineup and stick with the ones they have for a while and that would kill the sales that should make apple rethink what they are doing.

thanks all

12. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Am I blind? Or is there a way to view/purchase/compare the old MBP to the new on Apple.com?

If so. . . could someone link me? :p

EDIT. Was blind.

13. south8212 macrumors 6502

there is a very good review comparing both side by side on engadget