New Macbook vs. Old MB Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pak^Man, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

This one is for the tech-savy crowd, who wouldn't mind explaining to a Newbie:

I'm looking to buy an :apple:notebook in the upcoming days. While everyone is sweating bullets over the NEW MB & MBP, I am facing the following choice:

New Macbook ~$1300
    MBP (Previous Gen) Refurb ~$1500

I'm sure the new MB will have a lot of new niceties (I.E. glass trackpad, etc), but my concern is with the GPU. The New MB is supposed to have an NVIDIA 9400M GPU (let's assume it does). My sense is that its better than GMA, but still not as good as discrete GPU.

But how much of a performance difference are we really talking about?? I'm thinking of using the new new machine mainly for Full-HD video playback, some games (once StarcraftII is out :rolleyes: ), but above all I want to get the most out of Snow Leopard's OpenCL. I know it's all in the future, but I'm just looking for your best guidance:

So will NVIDIA 9400M GPU perform well enough for 1080p video (I'm sure this will be a YES)?
    What about casual gaming?
    But most of all, which should I opt for if I want to own a solid Snow Leopard Machine??:)

Gracias!

EDIT: I DONT care about HDD and Screen sizes... all I'm looking for is information on the GPUs

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Could we please stop the, "Which should I buy?!" threads until we actually know the specs? I mean, come on, how can you possibly make an intelligent decision before knowing both sides?

3. riz78612 macrumors regular

The people asking which one should i buy.

if you cant decide go to Apple store see for yourself or ask the genius guys their.

Or buy both of them.

Common sense tells you- buy the latest new one. Duuhhh.

4. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Clarification...

I repeat from my post: "I know it's all in the future, but I'm just looking for your best guidance"

So: if you do not have said guidance to offer... please feel free not post your frustrations :)

Thank you, for your kind words...

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think it is inevitable that people will keep re-posting the same questions every hour 10 weeks before and 10 weeks after new products are out. :eek:

We have no idea what the REAL specs for the new computers will be, so until we know, we cannot give you guidance. Besides, screen sizes are different, HD capacities will be different, so nobody can give you guidance YET.

6. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Should I buy the one that's more "cute" then?? I am looking for some reflection on GPUs because I dont know much about them...

And I will talk the Genius, but I was looking to do some homework. So please dont bite my head off.... I just asked a question.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Anybody offering guidance without knowing the facts is just splitting out BS.

8. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Nvidia 9400m Gpu..... (?)

Point well made; but based on the BS I've already gotten from people who dont even read the whole post, that would be a treat. ;)

So am I to assume that specs a details on the new NVIDIA 9400M GPU are not known?