New Macbook vs Oldschool 4 VIDEO

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Mar 7, 2010.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

So I am looking at getting a new macbook.
    I do HDV video editting using a canon HV30.

I used to have the oldschool 15.4inch 2.2ghz MBP w/ 4 gigs RAM and it was pretty awesome.
    I am looking at the new 13 inch unibodies right now.

But when I look at the used market, I can get a Old MBP like I used to have for about 1000 w/o tax and the new MBP for 1299 plus taxes (1500 after). I would buy an apple care, bumping it up even more to about 1700-1800 ish.

Is the 50% increase in price worth it from a video point seeing at the old school MBP has a dedicated vid card?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

There is not a $1299 13 inch MBP.

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

Why would you buy applecare on the new laptop? If you are thinking about buying used, obviously you have faith that apple makes laptops that will last 4 or 5 years (or more). If you have that faith, buying applecare to ensure a computer lasts 3 years seems like a waste of money.

I don't do video, but for photos, even 15" isn't overly large. 13" would kill me. Are you sure that 13" is enough room to work in?

Personally I would go for the used MBP so you get firewire for a scratch disk (and save some money).

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would stay away from those used ones as they don't include the install discs. Hence go for a new mbp. I would wait though as a refresh is likely.
    You could go for a refurb mbp from apple. This way you can save money, get the installs CDs and get a warranty for one year. (you can also get apple care if needed. )