new MacBook w/new HD and Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stvfisher, Jan 21, 2008.

1. stvfisher macrumors member

So I ordered a MacBook (BlackBook), and new Western Digital hard drive (320GB, 5400RPM) and 4 GB of RAM (Kingston)... all from newegg. I expect the items to come today or tomorrow, so here's my question...

Do I boot the laptop up and use it with the original parts for a set amount of time, or do I go straight for the upgrade and immediately remove the manufacturer memory and hard drive and replace them with the upgraded parts?

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Go straight to the new parts and get that puppy up and running!

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't think that it would make a difference on when you would do it, so swap them out first.

4. nslyax macrumors regular

I would start it up and make sure it is working right before changing anything, just in case there is a problem you know it isn't with any of the upgrades.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Good point, make sure that there would not be an immediate need to return the computer before swapping out the drives.

6. stvfisher thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking... but I also thought about just rolling the dice and putting in the new parts, THEN if there was a problem switching back to the old parts to confirm where the problem exists.

Do you think I should just start it up and just make sure it boots, or should I actually 'test drive' it for a few days?

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If anything, test drive it for a few hours, if no problems show up by then, then I would toss in the new HDD and RAM.