New Macbook - what to choose

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BeepBop, Jul 11, 2013.

  1. BeepBop macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    I am desperately in need of a new computer. Due to an unfortunate water spill 6 months ago, my 2009 13" MacbookPro no longer functions - it freezes after 10 minutes and then won't turn on again.

    I want the 13" rMBP when it gets refreshed with Haswell, but need something NOW. I need the computer for work which involves reading and writing legal documents all day and the retina screen would be great for sharper text. I also want to stream movies on it. Here are the options I'm considering.

    1. 13" MBA i7/8GB/256GB - This computer will do what I need it to, but the screen :(. I also find the silver bezel highly distracting.

    2. Current 13" rMBP. I love the screen, but hate paying full price for a computer that will soon be out of date. Better battery life and a faster SSD would be important to me.

    3. Wait for Haswell rMBP refresh and get an iPad for working at home. I have a desktop at work, but need something to use when I take work home (which is usually every night.) I have an apple wireless keyboard to use with it, but is it actually functional for writing documents in pages?

    I'm really torn as to what to do - I want the new rMBP now and don't really love any of the other options.
  2. redsoxaa macrumors member

    Jul 10, 2013
    Based on your comments it looks like you would be pretty peeved if you bought a new computer and then they released the updated Pro line. I would recommend seeing if you can get a free or cheap estimate on repair. The fact that the computer turns on and works fine, even just for a few minutes, leads me to believe that the repair might not be too bad. If you can repair your computer on the cheap it will give you the time to wait out the new Pro line.
  3. BeepBop thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    The Apple store gave me a quote of $700 to fix it (there are multiple things wrong with it) and I hate to put that much money into something that's so old and broken (the screen also cracked on me when it was 3 weeks old.)
  4. redsoxaa macrumors member

    Jul 10, 2013
    You can look into getting a second hand iPad. That should keep cost down, and if you decide to move on after getting the new Haswell you can sell it back for almost what you paid.
  5. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502


    Aug 10, 2006
    Mt Brook, AL
    Having your current machine fixed is a great idea. Going through Apple will always result in a more expensive repair, so try some of the third party repair sites. I have used MacRestore and they do great work at a very reasonable price. Also, ask around to see if there is a local Mac specialist where you live. That could be your best bet. One of our local Apple specialists replaced the keyboard on my son's MBP for $185, parts and labor, after a spill of some type of liquid. So look around for a repair estimate more in line with what you are willing to pay.
  6. BeepBop thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    I decided to pick up an ipad last night. I went to a couple other local repair places and all wanted $600 or more to fix the computer (and even then it would still have a cracked screen.) It's just too much to spend on a computer that is at the end of its expected life span and has multiple problems.

    I don't know if the ipad is going to work yet or not, though. I bought the pages app last night and will give it a try tonight. If not, what should I go for - the current MBA or the current rMBP?
  7. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I wouldn't spend $ 600 to repair a 2009 Macbook.
  8. BeepBop, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

    BeepBop thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    Well, the iPad went back to the store. It was pretty heavy and cumbersome and the Pages app wasn't sufficient for my needs. So, it's back to the drawing board - I need a computer now and can't wait any longer.

    Which option should I choose:

    1) MBA 1.7/8/256
    2) rMBP 2.6/8/256 13"
    3) rMBP 2.4/8/256 15"

    I'm pretty lost - I'm sure any of these would work for my needs, but I'm at a loss as to which one to choose.
  9. Tomorrow macrumors 604


    Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    If an iPad is too heavy and cumbersome, I'm not sure a MBP is what you're looking for.

    How about option 4) - Refurbished rMBP 3.0/8/256 13"?
  10. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Oct 25, 2008
    Bhphotovideo (very reputable re-seller) has the rMBP 13 2.5/8/512gb for $1650 shipped right now. Even the 256gb is approx $1470 or so. Those are MBA 13 prices. I vacillated between the 2 for awhile but since I already have a rMBP 15, I decided on the MBA 13 i7/8/256 would be it. Yes, those are 2012 machines, but they're new and the measly 100mhz difference isn't worth the difference in price.
  11. BeepBop thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    I would love this option, but I'm in Canada and they don't have this in the refurb section. I do get the educational price though through apple.

    I was perfectly happy with my cMBP in terms of weight, but the ipad was tricky to hold on to for some things and the stand didn't work on the couch or bed where I do a fair amount of work. I would be much happier with a laptop than a tablet.


    The price to ship to Canada and to convert to CAD makes them more expensive than apple with the education price, so I will stick with Apple, but thanks for the suggestion.
  12. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

    Jun 12, 2010
    Reading and writing legal documents, I don't know that you need an I7, I have a 4 yr old c2c that will handle that.
  13. BeepBop thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    You're absolutely right that I don't need the i7. However, I keep my computers for a long time (4-5 years) and the extra cost isn't a big deal now. I want the option of passing it on to my husband (who does molecular modeling and other computation chemistry stuff) when the new rMBP are released and he would need the i7.
  14. BeepBop thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2013
    Well, I bought an i5/4/256 MBA last night. It will do everything I need it to right now and in a year or two, I can buy the latest and greatest rMBP :) I was tired of waiting and just needed a computer to use NOW. I'm sorry it doesn't have 8GB of RAM, but that would have taken two weeks to arrive and I couldn't be without a computer any longer.
  15. cambookpro macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Haha, I was just about to say I'd go for the MBA. Just been updated, and a surprising amount of power for how small they are.

    Enjoy it! :D
  16. jwoodfin2012 macrumors newbie

    Jul 30, 2012
    The MBA was a good choice. It is perfect for most people

Share This Page