New macbook wireless issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Finchster, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Finchster macrumors newbie

Posted this in the help forum but had no replies and it got knocked off the first page so I figured maybe someone here would know. I'm really really enjoying my first mac and I'd love to resolve this one little nag. All help is appreciated alot :D

-----

Just recently purchased a new macbook 2.0ghz unibody the first day it came out and have loved it so far. Its my first mac and im really enjoying its speed and all the nice applications it comes with. But i'm having some really annoying issues with the wireless connection.

Now i've read alot of different posts and sites about wireless issues but none that are really the same as mine and ive tried everything thats been suggested so far from what ive read and nothing has worked.

For the first week of owning my macbook the wireless internet was great. I was getting full speed, playing online games, watching alot of media and downloading and everything was fine. Then I dont remember exactley what happened before this, might have been after a update, but my speed dropped incredibly. I have 8mb internet and will usually get between 5-7 on a speedtest which is normal for my windows computers too but after the speed dropped on my mac ill get between 200-800kbs on the speedtest and my pages will take a really long time to load and may not even load at all.

When the pages dont load I get this error message - "kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 302" and after reloading the page it will eventually come up. Ive searched for this error and found nothing that will help.

The only way I can get my normal speeds back is by resetting the router and the way I noticed this was when I was changing my wireless encryption settings which was recommended in another thread and the router had to reset itself to update the settings. After the update my speed was back to being super fast and no more error messages.

I can use the wireless just fine for 3 or 4 hours and then it may slow way back down again or it might keep working all night and then when I go to use it the next day it has slowed back down again and the only way to fix it is to login to the router and change some setting and reset it and then its back to good.

I know the post is long but I wanted to be specific on what was going on and what I have done so far. I really love my macbook and dont want to have to return it but its driving me nuts and I really dont want to have to reset the router everytime I use the internet.

All help is appreciated.

2. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

You need to give more information.
    What router are you using? A lot of non-apple routers especially off brands have problems with apple computers.
    What wireless protocol are you using?
    How many computers are on the network?
    What encryption standard are you using?
    Do you have any widgets or anything that could be using bandwidth? Is bonjour active? Did you install anything around the time of the slowdown?

3. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

The biggest and most important question is:

Are there any other computers on your network, and if so, are they experience speed drops as well? At least that'll tell you if it's the new lappy or the router (or your internet connection).

4. Finchster thread starter macrumors newbie

The router is a Netgear WGR614.

Its Wireless G.

There are two desktops and one laptop on the network. One running vista two running XP. None of them are having issue and I have shut them off to see if it helps and it doesnt.

Normal encryption is WEP. I switched to WPA and still had the problem and then also switched it off completely and still had the problem.

I have some widgets on dashboard that get updates from the internet like stock ticker and weather but I thought they only updated when I pulled up dashboard. And i'm not sure what Bonjour is so I probably dont have it.

I dont have an exact date when it started happening so I cant tell what was installed I just know it worked very well for about a week when I first got it then I started having the issue. I have suspected the software update AirPort Extreme Update 2008-004 since I got it about a week after I got the laptop but ive got no way of rolling it back to see if that is the cause.

Thank you both for your quick replies :D

5. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Run network utility. The wireless adapter should be en1. What does it say you link speed is?

6. Finchster thread starter macrumors newbie