Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Hi everyone

I got a refurb 2.4 macbook a couple days ago and have been using it and I absolutely love everything about it

EXCEPT

quite often, when I'm looking at a web page or something on the internet, the page doesn't load. It will get the first part of a bar in Safari but it will stay there for minutes and then go to one of those white screens.

Can anyone help me out with this?
thanks guys

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
How do you know this is a wireless issue?

Posting some details on your setup would be helpful. Include information about your router and type of connection. Also, do the same websites load properly when you connect via the ethernet cable?

SirJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Please bear with me if some of this is ignorant or irrelevant - I don't know much about network things.

My wireless router is a 2wire, which came when Qwest set up my high speed. I don't think it's my macbook because my roommate has been having issues as well, but sometimes when I turn the airport off and on again it loads the pages. It seems like every five minutes it switches from loading everything to not working.

Has anyone had this problem before or know what is wrong/how to fix it?

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Please bear with me if some of this is ignorant or irrelevant - I don't know much about network things.

My wireless router is a 2wire, which came when Qwest set up my high speed. I don't think it's my macbook because my roommate has been having issues as well, but sometimes when I turn the airport off and on again it loads the pages. It seems like every five minutes it switches from loading everything to not working.

it sounds like you do have a wireless issue, but this is one of those things that is easier on the phone:rolleyes:

can you provide a pic of your connection - from your modem to your router. If your roomate is having the same issue on the same Network, then logically it is definitely your Network, and not your MacBook.

One pre-mature suggestion is - it may just be your router, you should take out the power cord for 30 seconds and plug it back in. That may do the trick. Or you may need, to take out both power cords(modem & router). When doing this, take the Modem power cord out for a mintue then plug it back in, then wait till your Modem is giving you all proper icons(usually wireless light blinks). At that time, plug in your router. Wait 30 seconds or so, and your Wireless is up to snuff again:D

That's the best I got with the information you relayed...

CrackBookPro:cool:

havenly007

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
I had a similar problem...but it occurred on safari AND firefox. I zapped and PRAM and that fixed it. It wouldn't hurt to try it on your computer too

mhart032

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
I had this same problem with my 2wire gateway with att, what model is the 2wire? i fixed this issue by running openDNS DNS servers, before it was wicked slow and wouldnt open the pages sometimes. Also now i just use the 2wire as a modem and i use a Netgear rangmax router with dd-wrt and it has also improved my wireless. my gateway is a homeportal 1000hw if you choose to do this hit me up i can write a quick tutorial for you.
Matt

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
After 6 months of problem free use, my Airport is starting to disconnect lately and I don't know why (Using Firefox BTW).

It all started when I began installing Vista on a Dell desktop unit sitting next to my mac yesterday. When my macbook loses the network, the Vista machine works fine so I know it's isolated to my macbook.

I was fiddling around with file sharing on both machines and also installed a wireless laser printer driver on the Dell so who knows what the hell I did.

If I do a complete shutdown on my mac, the network will usually come back but not always. I upgraded to 10.5.7 on Monday but have only had this problem starting Thursday night.

mhart032

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
After 6 months of problem free use, my Airport is starting to disconnect lately and I don't know why (Using Firefox BTW).

It all started when I began installing Vista on a Dell desktop unit sitting next to my mac yesterday. When my macbook loses the network, the Vista machine works fine so I know it's isolated to my macbook.

I was fiddling around with file sharing on both machines and also installed a wireless laser printer driver on the Dell so who knows what the hell I did.

If I do a complete shutdown on my mac, the network will usually come back but not always. I upgraded to 10.5.7 on Monday but have only had this problem starting Thursday night.

hrmm How many ips are you allowing as far as how many computers are you allowing to connect to the router? it kinda sounds like they are fighting over 1 ip address and when you use 1 its kicking off the other and compromising the wireless so its releasing one for the other. just a thought. i have noticed that apple airport cards seem to be a little more sensitive to things like this.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
hrmm How many ips are you allowing as far as how many computers are you allowing to connect to the router? it kinda sounds like they are fighting over 1 ip address...
Hey, that's very astute.

We're running 3 wireless connections at the same time here in the house. (I guess 4 counting the wireless printer).

There doesn't seem to be any pattern though... this morning I was just running the macbook and couldn't connect. It's been fine now for the last couple of hours - even with the vista machine connected.

What I should do is just connect that printer to the router via ethernet but that means I have to move something and I'm too lazy. :D

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

I would say make sure your router has the latest firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.