New macbook with core "i" series processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinksheen, Feb 14, 2010.

1. pinksheen macrumors newbie

Do you think Apple will be releasing a new version of the macbook with a core i3 or i5 processor in it? I was looking to buy a macbook within the next 1-2 months and was wondering if I should wait longer and see if they do release an updated macbook.

What do you think?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No. The MB is entry level, if it will get some i, then it will maybe be i3.
    Also the MB has been released in 10/2009, the MBPs are in more need to be update right now, so the MB will have to wait a while.

And the Buyer's Guide, to be found at the top right of this page.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

naeeee, not for a while anyway, since its the entry level:rolleyes:

4. sundeep007 macrumors newbie

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Given the PC pricepoint for Core i5 laptops, I'd wager the MacBook model will be running a Core i5 chip...

The MB and MBP have been sharing chip-levels for quite a while, just different clock speeds within the same range. If I had to guess, I'd bet on the slower i5 chip for the MacBook/13" MBP with the faster i5/slower i7 chip for the 15" and i7 for the 17" models.

6. pinksheen thread starter macrumors newbie

sundeep007, thanks for the link, I'll see if my local apple store will do a price match on it. I wonder if they are selling it for that price because an updated version is going to be released soon. I may just have to jump in and buy one though for that price.

There's not that much difference in the core 2 duo and the i5 besides the turbo mode the processor has.

Thanks for everyones input thus far.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For performance, in single-threaded tasks the i5 has ~10-15% advantage over the C2D. When it comes to multi-threaded tasks, the i5 opens up to what I've seen around 40% improved performance in benchmarks. These are at the same base clock speed mind you...I don't know if the TurboBoost function was automatically activated for the 40% improvement figures or not.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple stores do not do price match.

9. sundeep007 macrumors newbie

well i personally had best buy price match it, no issues, as this is a regular price at mictocenter(ie. not a rebate offer) also a few friends of mine have had apple stores successfully pricematch it too. i guess it might depend if you have a microcenter store close by. the link i gave earlier also highlights a bunch of people who have been able to pm with apple stores.