New Macbook with Lightroom/Photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PaulNL, Apr 28, 2015.

1. PaulNL macrumors newbie

PaulNL

Has anybody tried?
    Lightroom and Photoshop at the new Macbook?
    How does it run?

All information is welcome!

Have a iMac at home, and want to have a small Macbook for vacation.
    Only use is get my pictures at my mobile HD, and add some changes to some pictures.

The normal rework will be done at home.

Buy a Macbook, of Macbook Pro??

2. Daum macrumors member

I have the 1.2 512 model and lightroom runs great. Designing a 12 page website with a bunch of smart objects was also breeze. Pretty please with the new mac overall.

3. newellj macrumors 601

My only comment would be that I find screen real estate with LR pretty tight on the 13.3" and it was very tight on the 12". Do-able, but tight. You definitely want one of the side panels (LH for me) to disappear. You can keep the other one without sacrificing the area for the picture because of the aspect ratio.

4. Daum macrumors member

Yea I was looking for ways to reduce the size of he UI within Lightroom as I've already scaled it down in Mac preferences.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Are you running 5.7 or 6? Just installed 6 on a late2013 mbp13 and it's faster.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I run the current version of Photoshop and Bridge for some graphic design and it's fine. I use it mostly to edit .raw files and there are no issues. It's as smooth as my 2014 MBA. I have the base model.

7. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

You can make all of the toolbars (left folders, right tools, bottom thumbnails, top navigation) hide until mouseover by hitting the little arrows in the middle of each bar. Frees up a ton of space. If you also cycle to full screen mode you can reclaim a little vertical space by losing the menubar and the application title bar.

The IPS screen in the rMB has me much more excited for quick edits (when travelling) when compared to my sold-last-year 11" 2011 MBA.

I presume that the fast SSD will help, and combined with the typically bursty nature of photo editing (gen thumbnails, browse, adjustments, inspect) should play alright with the Core M. I'm not expecting the world but should be enough to handle my 16MP Fuji RAWs.

8. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-2-0-sd-mmc-memory-card-reader-black/3602009.p?id=1219092580719&skuId=3602009

Still on the fence about the MacBook. That sd reader with the usb dongle from Apple will do photographers well

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

backordered but I just got this in the mail (from adorama though):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...W307URBNA_Professional_USB_3_0_Dual_Slot.html

USB 3.0, definitely preferable to that USB 2.0 one you linked.

10. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Ah good find! Does it have a usb connection built into it or do you use a cable to connect it

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

12. newellj macrumors 601

That is probably the best and fastest reader, especially if you need CF capability (as I used to). It's not the most compact, but I can very highly recommend that one.

----------

Needs and comes with a USB 3 cable (USB A format).

13. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Not too big of a deal but I'm hoping someone makes a usb-c reader that plugs right into the port

14. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Or a mini 4 port hub that properly specs charging/data combo on the machine.
    Lets see - you're on the road and need to dump an SD/CF card to an external SSD and you need a charge at the same time. You're in Lightroom and Perhaps you'll use the last port for a second External, the safety backup of the days shoot.

15. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1026824&gclid=CIb9897PocUCFcWUfgodHKIAuQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I would be happy with something like that but with the usb-c connection:D