New Macbook with SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Archive, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Archive macrumors member

So I just read a few things about the Air 2.0 and that the SSD drive is just wicked fast at random reads.
    But since the SSD is the main part that interests me, and the Macbook is cheaper than the air (and compact enough for my needs), I wanted to ask if anyone out there tested the read/write speeds and bootup time with the new Aluminum Macbook and the SSD.

And oh yes. In addition to Xbench tests I am very interested in how "snappy" the OS feels with an SSD in the new Macbook. By this I mean things like application start times, browsing local files in finder, browsing iPhoto. Are there any short 'hangs' anymore?

Thanks!

2. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Someone has HERE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOW_xnO_bMU

It seems that is very fast, i mean I have an iMac and it takes just over 30secs to boot, this MBP with SSD in 18 secs.
    Also my shutdown is 5 secs theirs was 2!!

3. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I think the OP was looking for a Macbook with a SSD, not a Macbook pro... Hence the thread title :rolleyes:

4. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I have SSD in my macbook...it's very snappy. There are benchmarks for the apple SSD here if you search...my boot times are very fast which helps a lot because I use boot camp a lot and rebooting back and forth between OSX and Vista is really fast. My wife has the same macbook with the hard drive and there is a noticeable difference in daily use. If you've got the $$ go for it.

5. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I would wait a bit had a SSD in my Air, was not impressed .

6. Archive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input guys. reading in some of the topics on the forum now.

@Ironic: Yeah I saw the reviews for the 64GB SSD in the first Air. Seems the 128GB one is a lot faster. Figures the second revision of the Air has those kind of improvements.

7. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

It's been pointed out before that the Air had so many compromises for the form factor that the SSD read/write speeds were not a rate-limiting step in most processes...so it didn't make a big difference. The MacBook is a different ballgame.

8. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

SSD model?

Does anyone know what model/make of the SSD that Apple puts into the glassbook if you opt for one as CTO?

Is it an Apple brand, or 3rd party?

9. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I know the Intel SSD is meant to be very good, but at $700 it should be !