New MacBook won't Verify&Repair Permissions!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2A Batterie, May 1, 2008.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I literally just got my MacBook out of the box, charged it and turned it on for the first time. I tried using the disk migration utility first, but it kept hanging up and then unexpectedly quitting. I ejected the external drive I was trying to migrate the information from and attempted to verify and repair disk permissions on the MacBook. While it certainly didn't freeze or give me the dreaded beach ball, it just hung out for several minutes while showing no progress. I quit and restarted only to have the same issue with Disk Utility. I'm probably freaking out about nothing, but is something wrong? What can I do to fix this?

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

In Leopard, both repairing permissions and verifying the disk take a long time, and the status bars don't indicate that it's doing anything.

Give it a while for both, but both should finish.

-Kevin

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

On my new 2.4GHz MacBook (160GB drive, about a month old) it takes about 6 minutes to run Repair Permissions and about 3 minutes to run Verify Disk.

-Kevin

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Thank you! You are right. Still having problems with disk migration, but that's another can of worms that I'm going to do some searching on.