New Macbook - Worthy Purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrob44, Jan 6, 2010.

1. mrob44 macrumors member

My girlfriend's 6 year old Dell desktop died last night and she wants a new machine. She's a Grad student that only really needs to use Office and Web browsing, and she's not at all caring of technology. She'd probably write on paper forever if possible.

I know that the Macbook will serve her needs fine, just wondering what the overall opinion of the laptop is versus the slightly more expensive 13" MBP. Quality is my overall concern I guess. With her student discount she can get the Macbook with AppleCare for $1,082.

Anybody have any thoughts/advice?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The MBP is definitely a better machine overall, but for light use a Macbook will do just fine.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The aluminum would hold up better in terms of cracks and such but it can dent and scratch. The tradeoff is really subjective. For what your girlfriend needs the MacBook sounds like the best one. However, I would check the weight because that would be important to me. I lugged a 15" PB around as a grad student and even then that was considered lightweight but it was still a lot with books and such.

If she were at all technology driven I'd say the MBP would be a better choice but if she would write on paper forever then save some coin and get the MB for her and maybe up the ram if possible.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Macbook would be more that enough for her. Check Apple's refurbished store on Apple.com also. You might find a 13 MBP cheaper than a Macbook.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not with the edu discount.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That's why I said might find and not said you will find.

7. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

One point to consider is that if your girlfriend is anything like my wife, she will love the white laptop and think the steel one is to masculine and not cute at all.
    I just got my wife a the latest MB (and it really is a nice looking laptop I think) and she is soo happy.
    She had her 12" iBook for 5 years, so I presume she will hold on to this one for a long time too.

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My wife likes her white Macbook over my aluminum also

9. seb-opp macrumors 6502

macbook sounds like more than enough for her needs

10. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

the macbooks are more then suitable [​IMG] the mbps are pretty expensive for just browsing and office use

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Keep in mind that she'd have to shell out some money to buy Microsoft Office for the Mac. There's a student version that isn't too much money, but I don't believe it has Exchange support. Also, Office for Mac doesn't have the equivalent to Microsoft Access for Windows, in case that's important for her.

There are alternatives to Office and Access for the Mac, some of which are free (possibly shareware).

ft

12. aery macrumors member

aery

haha, guilty! If they're being compared solely based on looks I definitely like the look of the white MacBook better as well and have read others on this site refer to them as more girly than the aluminum ones.

About a month ago I bought the last MacBook (before unibody update) refurbished for $799 CDN... so I think they're like $749 on the US site, I checked just now and there was still some up. I absolutely love it! Especially the fact that I saved $300 (although on the US site the savings are only listed as $150 ) - and she can still use her discount for the Applecare of course, you'd be all set for well under $1,000. It would more than suit her needs I think.

Actually I just checked and they also have the unibody ones refurbished for $849 on the site. I know she can get brand new for $899 with the student discount but hey it saves $50 and I swear you won't tell the difference plus I've read nothing but good things about buying refurbs from Apple, just search it up here and you'll see. And coming from my own recent refurb purchase, I've been very happy with it.

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Its now MS 2008 Office Home/Student, $100 at Buy.com.

My wife has had her Macbook for almost 4 years (bought it May of 2006), still works as good as the day we bought it.

They have the new one as a refurb right now, $850. Ive seen Applecare for it for $175 from LA Computer.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?mco=MTU5MzE0Mzc

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. Nano2k macrumors regular

My Gf new unibody Macbook is snappier than my MBP mid 09' 2.8Ghz... dunno whats wrong lol, probably some wireless problem somewhere...