New MacBook

thrckb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
8
1
I just got a new MB and now (as usual) they are announcing the speed bump. Is it worth the trouble to return in before my 14 days expire just for the speed bump. I have the 2.0 with 2 gig of ram and the 120 hard drive. Now that I think of it, I wonder if I can even return in since it was a special config.
:confused:
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Nobody knows for sure, they may decide to hold the MB back until later in the year just to let the MBP bask in the limelight for a while for all we know...
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,209
1,106
You can't return build-to-order configurations.

And Apple hasn't announced anything anyway...we've had lots of rumors about new MacBooks, and none of them have come true yet.
 

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
86
3
if you were aware of anything about intel you would know they introduce new chips every few months. so if you plan on having the "latest and greatest" mac, you're probably going to be looking at upgrading every 6 months or so now presuming apple decides to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. so you have 3 choices, stop worrying about the future and enjoy the present, never buy a mac again as it will more than likely get outdated weeks after you get it or sell and trade every time there is a new update. personally for me, i went from ibook to macbook recently because i felt the investment towards an intel mac is beneficial and will keep me set for a few good years without worry.
 

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
467
0
UK, France
The fact that the entire planet is gaggging for MacBook updates and that the current models are old and ridiculously overpriced per their parts, means that you don't need to worry.

The basic rule is, take the time frame by which Apple should release/update/fix something, then add 6 months.
 

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
340
0
thrckb said:
I just got a new MB and now (as usual) they are announcing the speed bump. Is it worth the trouble to return in before my 14 days expire just for the speed bump. I have the 2.0 with 2 gig of ram and the 120 hard drive. Now that I think of it, I wonder if I can even return in since it was a special config.
:confused:
I went to the apple store on Sept. 16th and said to hell with it and bought a brand new white macbook and grabbed a 20 doller 4gig ipod nano... I dont know about you thrckb, but I am very pleased with my purchase and would not go back on it! If they release a macbook with a slight speed bump in a few weeks so what. I dont think I would even notice the difference. I am happy as can be with my mac, the only thing that might upset me is if they release a newly designed macbook with a different case and some extra features ( which I do not see happening ). A slight speed bump though..oh well. If you waited for the speed bump then bought, 2 months later there would be another one anyways..so no worried from me. :D
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,389
114
Location Location Location
Normally I'd say not to wait, but since the update is so darned close.....


Ah hell, you can't return it anyway. The only other option is to eBay or something, and I really wouldn't bother. It's not worth the small increase in performance.
 

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
302
2
Abstract said:
Normally I'd say not to wait, but since the update is so darned close.....


Ah hell, you can't return it anyway. The only other option is to eBay or something, and I really wouldn't bother. It's not worth the small increase in performance.
Yep eBay is an option. I've seen new MacBooks go for more than their education price from Apple there.... scary!
 

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
1,362
9
Scotland, UK
thrckb said:
I just got a new MB and now (as usual) they are announcing the speed bump. Is it worth the trouble to return in before my 14 days expire just for the speed bump. I have the 2.0 with 2 gig of ram and the 120 hard drive. Now that I think of it, I wonder if I can even return in since it was a special config.
:confused:
What do you need/use your laptop for?

If you are using it for more memory and processor intensive software than word porcessing, and iLife then maybe you should return it and get more for your money.

If not then be happy with what you have as it is a excellent laptop and will serve you well.

good luck.
 

thrckb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
8
1
Great feedback

I seem to agree with you guys on the "not worrying" part, cause one thing I have learned is Apple will make some thing to deprived us "addicts" of our money.

I should own stock since I buy so much stuff from them.

Its not that I need the increase performance it's some where between having the latest and greatest and not getting beat out of my money. I swear that Steve Jobs has a line on my credit card in that as soon as I buy something it signals him to release an update to something I just bought. :D
 

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
504
0
Just keep it. You'll be happy you did. Mine's in the mail and should be here soon. Everyone always says "just wait until this special event, it's only x days away." And then when the upgrade doesn't come (which it never does!), they'll say the same thing again. Instead of waiting for something you have NO idea when is going to happen, just keep it, and enjoy it. This next upgrade isn't going to make a huge difference anyway. I got sick of waiting, purchased when I did, and I'm glad because I know I'll have a great machine regardless, and the majority of people will be sitting in front of old computers saying "only x more days until it comes."

Now I could be wrong, and it could come out soon, but if you're always playing the waiting game, you'll never get what you want. By the time Merom comes out Santa Rosa will be around the corner.
 

Michael J

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
14
2
Seattle
One reason to wait

I've got a 17" but am downsizing to 15" because my company requires me to use a PC so I'll be traveling with two computers (yes, I'm a total geek). Anyhow, I'm waiting on the merom series because they may have longer battery life due to the energy efficient processor. We'll see what happens next week. I had already ordered a special order 15" and it arrives this weekend, but I put through an order cancellation so I can send it back at no cost. We'll see...
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,858
0
thrckb said:
I just got a new MB and now (as usual) they are announcing the speed bump. :confused:
they've announced a speed bump? (no, seriously?)

Demon Hunter said:
Merom is 10-20% faster than Yonah at the same clock speed...
that's only on selective areas... some areas show 0 improvement