Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adityaraj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2007
what new upgrades can be expected in the macbook line in the upcoming quarter(october)?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Alright, do try to use the search feature next time; it will allow to see how much has been discussed about this.

Anyhow, the consensus is that the new Macbooks will have SR chips, LED backlit screens, and maybe a RAM or HD increase(this always depends on how far apart it needs to be kept from the Pro series). A GPU increase is also likely, but again, it will be less than the Macbook Pros, as no one would run out and pay $600 more for a machine that can do the same thing as a cheaper one.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
Alright, do try to use the search feature next time; it will allow to see how much has been discussed about this.

Anyhow, the consensus is that the new Macbooks will have SR chips, LED backlit screens, and maybe a RAM or HD increase(this always depends on how far apart it needs to be kept from the Pro series). A GPU increase is also likely, but again, it will be less than the Macbook Pros, as no one would run out and pay $600 more for a machine that can do the same thing as a cheaper one.

The new MacBook's probably wont have SR chips, they will eventually, but I doubt in the next update (most likely, the same time leopard is released)

What I have heard, is that the graphics will be updated with leopard's release, because of the fact that the current one, may not be strong\powerfully enough to run leopard smoothly, the LED backlit screens will most likely happen at the next update, I have not heard any rumors about the RAM or HD being increased, but you never know...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The new MacBook's probably wont have SR chips, they will eventually, but I doubt in the next update (most likely, the same time leopard is released)

What I have heard, is that the graphics will be updated with leopard's release, because of the fact that the current one, may not be strong\powerfully enough to run leopard smoothly, the LED backlit screens will most likely happen at the next update, I have not heard any rumors about the RAM or HD being increased, but you never know...

The new Mabooks that come out after Leopard will either have SR, or their update cycle will be extended and they will recieve the next higher chipset. The C2D, while good, can't be used forever. The Macbooks will get something new by November.

As for RAM and HD, Apple has updated the specs as the notebooks have advanced. Again, it doesn't have to happen, but there's a chance that one or the other will.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2007
As others have pointed out concerning this topic.....why would Apple be offering an OS that won't run properly on brand new machines being sold right up to and after leopards release?

Is leopard going to run on ~whatever~ machine? Of course. It HAS to. :D

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Is leopard going to run on ~whatever~ machine? Of course. It HAS to. :D

Well, it won't run on any machine, but all new ones will be able to run it. I'm guessing that all G3 support will be dropped with Leopard.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2007
Well, it won't run on any machine, but all new ones will be able to run it. I'm guessing that all G3 support will be dropped with Leopard.

There ya go. :)

I'm still waitng for apple to make good on its promise that a certain new OS named Rhapsody will run on the 76/86/9600 line :D

saberlam

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Oh my god !

I just have a macbook. As a newest product , if it cannot run leopard with all 3D effect smoothly. It is not reasonable for a thousand US Dollar for a new machine cannot run smoothly with all setting in coming OS. If after leopard released, GMA950 is found to be not capable of all the 3D effect in leopard or if Apple upgrade the graphic card to GMA X3100 to run all the effect, i will really hate apple !

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Oh my god !

I just have a macbook. As a newest product , if it cannot run leopard with all 3D effect smoothly. It is not reasonable for a thousand US Dollar for a new machine cannot run smoothly with all setting in coming OS. If after leopard released, GMA950 is found to be not capable of all the 3D effect in leopard or if Apple upgrade the graphic card to GMA X3100 to run all the effect, i will really hate apple !

Calm down, Apple isn't Microsoft;) Your machine will do fine. Older G4s will probably do fine. Take a deep breath and do something more productive than worrying about a non-existant issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.