New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chris57, May 19, 2008.

1. chris57 macrumors member

I'm the new owner of a very gently used CD MacBook! l love it, I just have a few questions about it.

It came with the trackpad a little shiny. Is there any way to fix this and prevent it?

Mine is the 1.83 gHz CD model. What problems should I be looking for? And, how can I find out exactly when mine was produced.

What are some basic care essentials that I need?

Can I still use that battery life software even though my MB is used? If so, where can I download it?

How do I care for the battery? After the battery is fully charged, can I still leave it plugged in if I'm using it at my desk?

If anyone can think of other things I need to know, please feel free to tell me. I had a eMac previously, so I know OS X, but anything pertaining to Intel would be helpful. If I can think of any other questions, I'll post them.

2. XP Defector macrumors 6502

This is just physical ware and tear, the only way to prevent this would be not to use the trackpad at all. Look at every laptop every made thats seen some use and you'll see this feature in all of them. The 'shinyness' annoys me as well, especially when watching DVDs in a dark room and it creates a reflection on the track pad, but really it's not an issue. Sometimes I wipe it down with an alcoholic based spray to take the grease off it.

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

why tell me why did u buy the base model i did that mistake when they came out but then again i only paid 900 compared to the 1200 from a barely touched floor model besides some big scratch on the bottom which i could careless but i guess its good for a new mac owner but i think i should of gotten a bigger up model

but when its charged take out the charger or if your going to use it for along time more than the life of the battery just take out the battery and keep the charger in, for basic essentials if your not a pirate like myself you can get a office writer for free either Neo Office, or Open Office (I prefer Open Office), for video players i like VLC Media player, Browsers Opera or Firefox, for bit torrent i use Azereus i cant spell it right but it uses alot of bandwidth so its not the greatest, theres more like im not sure i dont have much on my macbook compaired to my emac that holds all mystuff and have alot of programs on if u have any needs for something just ask and ill find it

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Possible problems would be the processor emitting a high pitched noise, "Mooing", and yellow plastics. Core Duo's were also known for getting quite warm.

The Core Duo Macbooks were plauged with issues. Theres a good chance you wont see any of that though.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

mine was one of the ones that dont just the yellowness

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

really i didnt know that i thought it would weakin the batter lik on ma psp and my other battery that died :rolleyes:

8. tocyk macrumors member

I just spontaneously combusted.

9. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I have a revision A CD macbook as in my sig, and I have only had 1 problem - the case cracking. other than that, nothing wrong with it (I don't know if the top plastics have already been replaced because I bought it used)

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lool

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

laughing out out loud??? New one for me.

12. asme macrumors regular

Use this link to find out more about your individual macbook, it's a serial number decoder.

13. krye macrumors 68000

krye

For the age of your Mac, just look at your serial number. :apple: > About This Mac > More Info...

The first 2 digits are a product identifier, the next digit is the year made, the next two are the week made.

Mine is "4H624...". So it was made the 24th week of 2006.

14. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks for all the replies! Yes, I've definatley noticed how hot its been getting. I'm going to be getting some sort of trackpad protecter as well. Is there any product thats like a screen protector except for the entire macbook? I'm thinking some sort of thin sticky plastic that sticks to it, I guess something like an invisible shield. I don't want to pay a lot though.

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I tried a couple different wrist pad/track pad protectors, Moshi, and Marware to be exact. Both have very nice Wrist pads, but the trackpads were something I took off after trying for a day or two. With the trackpad on it felt like you had to DRAG your fingers around too hard to get it to work. It lost all of it's sensitivity and was not responsive at all. I kept the Wrist and Button pads from Moshi on the whole time I had my Black Macbook.

Try cleaning the Trackpad with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It will probably clean up quite well.

16. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

they have a protecter for almost everything on the macbook the outer casing to the inner casing over the keyboard just shop around i got a keyboard/palm protecter so u dont get ur mac book any more yellower i just dont like looking at mine so i bought one for 8$ off ebay