New Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 08mxkfx, Jul 4, 2008.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I just got a new Macbook today and I love it! Im looking to get VMware Fusion to run windows xp. The question i have is that my current dell desktop came the windows xp professional operating system disk. Can i use this instead of purchasing windows xp even though i still plan on using my dell?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

Only if it includes SP2 then you can use it for boot camp
    you can use any windows version for Fusion

3. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Yeah its service pack 2 but will it work fine even though my dell is registered under the same license number or whatever?

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Technically, you'll be breaking the license agreement, so I think you shouldn't be asking about it here, since the moderators won't be happy about it.

5. ManWithhat macrumors regular

It'd be illegal, and many times the actual disk is synced with the hardware. When you install the system it'll say you have a trial 30 days or something.

6. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Windows has become a bit tricky. Additionally bootcamp requires a full version of XP and not a combo disk, which comes with most PC systems. A good friend tried to use his Dell disk and it was a mess. It is best to purchase a fresh windows only copy to save yourself some frustrations later :apple:

7. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

8. Jeegan macrumors newbie

I would say just try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then you know you gotta get a different XP.

9. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

You can give it a shot (note: I said "can," not "should"), but seeing that it has "Dell" plastered all over it, with that suggestive "only," I wouldn't be so optimistic. Agree with that other poster, buy your own XP--get a student/online/whatever deal--and avoid the mystery and hassles.

10. egghead1993 macrumors newbie

I Tired It And I Won't Work.

It Said That I Had A Thirty Day Trial, And Would Not Accept To Product Key As It Was The Disc That Came With My Old Dell And That Product Key Was Used On The Dell.
    Also I Tried Playing A Game On Xp In Bootcamp And The Whole Thing Was Upside Down When Playing. Not Good!!!!!

Sorry I'm Typing In Caps Couldn't Be Bothered To Take It Off

Matt**

11. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Ok so i guess i will just buy a new copy. Would you recommend vista or xp? I have xp and have never used vista so it would be new for me so i dont know how it is. Also i have Microsoft Office Home/Student 2007 for my PC and only have 1 computer with it on it. Would the key code work if i downloaded the Mac version one and used my product code since your allowed up to 3 computers?

12. zvandiver macrumors member

VMWare has a free program for creating a virtual machine from an existing WinXP installation. You can do this on the WinXP computer. Then copy the virtual machine to your mac. You will have to go through the Microsoft registration routine the first time you run the virtual machine (have the serial number from your Dell-Windows disc), but from then on you are fine. I did this when I switched from my Gateway running XP to my fabulous Macbook.
    Zane

13. kabunaru Guest

Congratulations on the purchase. :)

14. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Isn't it more of a bother to start every word with a capital letter than to just type normally?

15. Machyper macrumors newbie

Congrats on the purchase

I guess the CD or the installation disk knew it wasn't installing normally. Anyways it's not desgined to work.;)

Have fun with your new :apple:Macbook!

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The OEM disks are designed to be never activated, so if you tried to install it in BootCamp you may get errors telling you the key is invalid.

17. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Figured i would let everyone know i just got done installing it on my iMac and it work great and activated with the COA on the side of my dell and my dell still works too. I used bootcamp for now since i wont be using Windows much except for a few cad programs but i might get VMware soon.