New Macbook!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gamerz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to post to say that I received my brand new, 2.4ghz blackbook today, four days ahead of its scheduled delivery time. Talk about fast!

On a side note, anybody have any tips, addons, or anything REALLY important that I should know/get?

Also, how do you use the drop box thing? I'm trying to get some files transfered onto this computer from my imac, but don't know how to.

Cheers.

Eric D.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go to your help menu and enter "migration assistant" in the search field. It'll tell you how to do it.

3. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

Thank you. Also, is there a way to right click with the track pad or to set it so that it is two buttons as opposed to one?

Eric D.

4. divinemercy macrumors regular

If you mean accesorries tips, look around the forums there are hundreds (particularly good brand:incase. Their hardshell is the best, period.)

For internal maintenance check these out:

Coconut Batter to show you batter information and help keep your bat in tip top shape.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Onyx. A great system maintenance program. Leave the settings as they are, click "automation" and in 10-15 min all of the internal maintenance you ever need to do is done automatically! I do this about once a week, although once a month is enough to keep your mac running smoothly and just like new!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Great purchase of your mac, hope you enjoy it.

Ryan

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Go to system preferences and click keyboard and mouse. Check the box that says "for secondary clicks place two fingers on the trackpad then click."

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Congratulations. I hope that you enjoy it. I would also download Quicksilver. A great program that helps you keep your hands on the keyboard. Also download some of Doug's Apple Scripts for iTunes!

7. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

Thanks everyone.

Would smcfancontrol also be a good one to get? I've heard that it is much needed.

Also, im having some problems with migration assistant. I load it up on my macbook, click "from another mac", then click on network because I do not have a fire wire I do not think, unless it came with an imac, then I probrably lost it.

Once I click network, it says to open migration assistant on my other mac, and click:"to another mac", but it is not showing up.

Ideas?

Eric D.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations on the computer!

And you need a Firewire cable for migration assistance methinks.

9. Googon macrumors member

Go to system preferences, Display/Monitor, and calibrate your screen. The color will be WAY better after you do that! :D. And when you can, run your batter completely dead, and then recharge it to 100% and then some, that should make your battery life a little longer. (Or that is an urban myth, I don't know.)

10. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

well, just be carefulabout slamming the lid shut - you could crack your macbook's casing

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Congrats on your purchase!!! As mentioned above the right click on track pad is one of first things i did with it. Oh and dont forget to update your signature :)

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Damn it! I saw the title and thought new MacBooks had been launched. :D

*closes door behind him*

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Abstract you've caught the curtain in the door! So where are we going now? I fancy some sushi.

15. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

If you have a FireWire cable then turn off your Macbook, connect the FW cable from your iMac to the MB; power on your MB and press and hold 'T' until the FW icon shows on your MB screen. Now on your iMac the MB looks like an external hard drive and you can copy files over like that. MUCH faster that over the air. When you're all done just eject the MB drive on your iMac and power off then on your laptop.

16. DaveSchneid macrumors newbie

Yeah I just had a great time transferring all my files to my new macbook hardrive over a wireless network, took about 30 some total hours for all my music and movies, if only I was transfering them from a mac not a pc...

17. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

And If I don't have a firewire cable? How could I transfer the information over the network or using the drop box?

Eric D.

18. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Just go buy a firewire cable. They are cheap! :D

19. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

20. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

21. nickbr00tality macrumors newbie

Yeahh...I agree haha

22. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

FW 400 is needed.

24. smithy1185 macrumors member

smithy1185

Wow, I didn't know that either. Thanks for the tip.