New MacBookPro Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nxfxcom, Nov 7, 2008.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

i love my new MackBook Pro, but this baby is running hot while running nothing big, should i exchange it?

Its REALLY HOT, i am afraid it is going to melt!

Ben

Attached Files:

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I take it thats fahrenheit :p

Anyway, whether its fahrenheit or celsius, i don't think it should be running that hot whilst doing nothing.

Is that after any intensive work?
    Are you using time machine?

3. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

I am just running itunes and safari, and yes it was fahrenheit Celcius i am uploading now, and no, no time machine

Attached Files:

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hmm, well the best thing to do is find out if its software warming up your mac, or a fault in the hardware. Best way to do that is open activity monitor.

Open activity monitor in spotlight, make sure it is set on cpu, then select all processes from the drop down menu. Also make sure the cpu column is high lighted to see what the top cpu processes are.

Keep an eye on it for a few minutes and see if anything is eating away at your processing power.

I had a problem like this a few weeks ago. Turns out it was a file to do with time machine kept popping up and using 98% of the cpu. thats why i asked about time machine :)

Attached Files:

5. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

See below

Attached Files:

6. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

hmm, well it dosen't look like anything is hogging the cpu. But why do you have the adobe photoshop suite open? You sure you've not been using them since the machines been on? If you have then i'd guess that the heat is just residual heat built up over time of it being on.

Otherwise if not, i'd take it to an apple store and either get them to check it out, or swap it if you are still within the time period for that

7. aaeyers macrumors newbie

My MBP runs at around 140 F while running Mail, iTunes, Adium, Safari, etc.

I don't think that it is anything to worry about, they are designed to run on the hot side.

8. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hmm, don't be too sure, i have one of the older model MBP's and when running simple programs such as mail itunes and safari i would get a temp on average of 35-40 degrees celsius (95-104 fahrenheit). If using a an hardware intensive program such as gaming, photoshop etc then it can go anywhere between 70-80 degrees celsius (158-176 fahrenheit). 140F still seems quite high for safari and itunes

9. yanny13 macrumors newbie

My MBP got up to 91 C whilst ripping a DVD with Handbrake and doing other things at the same time. Just installed SMC fan control and it's now down to 76 C with the fans at 3300 RPM and everything seems to be quite good. I've got it elevated right now for a little bit more airflow.

I wouldn't be too worried, having it elevated (mine is on a book :)) helps a lot, the enclosure temps for me right now are 30 C, on a desk, it would heat up to around 45 C.

10. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

hey what widget, app are you running? looks kool

11. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

12. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Hm, I think that you might want to check your temps as well, heh.

I'm running, Mail, iTunes, Adium, FireFox (pretty much the same exact programs as you), and I'm getting 104F as my hottest component.

13. Mercellus macrumors regular

Those temperatures (in Celsius) for the most part look fine to me.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Those are just your processes. Change it to "All". Sometimes root spawns some CPU heavy processes (like when you secure delete the trash).

15. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I was gonna mention that, but then noticed that there weren't any high spikes in cpu usage in the graph below. Though i suppose it won't hurt to have a look.

16. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Just got home,
    i think the temp is not working right..
    I had in a carry case, and the fake leather lining has melted, not much, but softly....

Will go to the store ..

Thanks for all the help