New MacbookPro Touching TRACKPAD kills the mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnewbie27, May 2, 2009.

1. Macnewbie27 macrumors newbie

Hi Everybody,

I've been a windows user for more than 10 years and finally i decided to try the mac. I bought a macbookpro (the newest one on the market = 4 Gb 1067 Mhz DDR3, 2,8 Ghz intel core 2 duo). I have been using it for a couple of months now without any problems - absolutely loving it - then all of a sudden 2 weeks ago something very strange happened. I was syncing my iphone (i don't know if this is associated with the problem but i should mention anyway) on the macbookpro and i disconnected it during syncing because it got stuck for some reason. Eversince i did that, the trackpad of the laptop started Not to respond. I can only move the cursor of the mouse but i can't register any clicks nor select any items from the dock or from my desktop. Not only that, but now everytime even if i slightly touch the trackpad (or move my finger on its surface) the whole system is freezing. By freezing i mean, i can move the cursor but i'm not able to click on anything plus the dock even won't respond when i go over it with the cursor. There's no magnifying effect and i can absolutely click on nothing!
    As an alternative, i tried to work with an external mouse (i have the mighty mouse) to see if it's gonna work and to my luck it does actually work. When i use the mighty mouse everything works fine but if i touch the trackpad (even accidentally) while using the mightymouse the whole system goes crazy again and this time i can't even use the mighty mouse so i simply have to restart my system (as this is the only way to unfreeze it). So basically, not only the trackpad went to hell but everytime i touch it the whole system goes to hell. So everytime i travel i have to take the mighty mouse with me and i can't enjoy the trackpad whatsoever.

Do you have any ideas why this would happen? I know there are no viruses known for mac , but could it be a new virus? A factory fault? (which i doubt because for months it just worked fine). If anyone could help me about how to save my mac, please reply to my thread.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Take it to the apple store and have a genius take a look. Most likely they will have to repair or replace it.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This isn't even possible. Take it to an Apple Store.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Personally I would try an SMC/PRAM reset of the system, attempting some Disk Utility processes, with a possibility of reinstalling the OS to combat any kind of software issue that may have unexpectedly cropped up. These steps can also be performed by a certified Mac Genius at the store so no worries if you don't feel comfortable with it. Articles on how to do so for reference if you want to play a bit with the Mac before throwing in the towel: resetting SMC, resetting PRAM, repairing disk/disk permissions, and last but not least the reinstall.

5. Macnewbie27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help everyone, i think i'll take it to the apple store to get it fixed, looks like the best way to solve the problem.

6. Macnewbie27 thread starter macrumors newbie

PRAM reset worked! It's working again no problem now. Thank you very much JediMeister, you saved me a lot of trouble!

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040