New MacBookPro with hi res screen is low res when projected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chloe Photo, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chloe Photo macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2011
    I've been using my new MacBookPro 8,2 (2.2GHz) with various projectors and the images that appear sharp on my laptop screen are blurry on the projected screen. I've tried different file formats (pdf, jpeg, tif and psd) as well as viewing through different applications but the projected image remains blurry.
    It doesn't seem to be a projector problem, as I've tried connecting other people's computers and the image is sharp. Perhaps it is a problem with my computer's default internal settings when connected to a projector?
    Can anyone suggest what might solve this issue?
    Thanks a lot
  2. DustinT macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2011
    You'll need to run your Mac's screen output to the projector's optimal resolution. I'd look at the model number of your projector and find out what the resolution is and then set your Mac to the same resolution. You'll get the sharpest possible image that way.
  3. DustinT macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2011
    Here's a nice link to some more information on how the projectors native resolution affects image quality.

Once you know what that is, pull up displays in system properties. You should have two displays listed, your Mac's internal display and the projector. Adjust the resolution on the projector to the native resolution of the projector and that should be it.
  4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

Jan 9, 2007

Also, you most likely need to calibrate the colors for the projector. Something I am not very happy with the way mac's act. Often the colors are totally out of whack.
  5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    Your mac probably isn't detecting the proper resolution for your projector.

Also, turn off mirroring.
  6. revelated macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2010
    What connector type (VGA, DVI, HDMI?)
  7. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    There is no need to turn off mirroring. Mirroring lets you adjust screen resolution for external display so that it can be higher than the native resolution on your mac. Go into prefs and set this.

mbp supports very high resolution on external displays including projectors. I think 1080p.
  8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    No, it's the other way around. Mirroring will have the projector lower its resolution down to the MBP's, or the other way around, whichever is lower.