Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeyJoeJo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I have a couple of questions about the MacBooks. I'm supposed to be going to the Apple Store with a friend to help him pick out a MacBook that will meet his needs. We are supposed to go today, but now I'm wondering if I should wait to go, at least until the media event is over. Are any new MacBooks supposed to be coming out soon?

Secondly, I have an MBP that I got when they first came out, I think about 1.5 years ago. It still works fine, but the MagSafe connector on my power chord is really messed up. It keeps getting worse and I think that it might eventually fall off. Will they replace it in the Apple Store, or just tell me to shell out the cash for a new one?

Lastly, does Apple have any sort of program where I could trade up my MBP towards the purchase of a new one?

Thanks in advance

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
1. There aren't supposed to be any Macbook updates, but why take a chance. I'd wait until this afternoon.

2. By all rights, they shouldn't replace your Magsafe for free. It's out of warranty. But, no one's going to fault you for trying, just don't raise hell over it if they tell you "no".

3. Nope. Apple doesn't do trades.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm surprised how many people I have heard ask the question about if Apple has a "trade-in/trade-up" program. Is this common in other computer companies? I've never even thought about it or even thought it was possible so I'm always surprised when people ask about it. I can't really think of any technology company or technology industry that does this. Car companies sorta do it in that they allow you to trade in your car for a newer one, but I don't consider cars as much "technology" based as computers. Game console makers don't offer trade-ins as new systems are released. Technology gets outdated so fast it is not worth it for any company to do.

JoeyJoeJo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I'm surprised how many people I have heard ask the question about if Apple has a "trade-in/trade-up" program. Is this common in other computer companies? I've never even thought about it or even thought it was possible so I'm always surprised when people ask about it. I can't really think of any technology company or technology industry that does this. Car companies sorta do it in that they allow you to trade in your car for a newer one, but I don't consider cars as much "technology" based as computers. Game console makers don't offer trade-ins as new systems are released. Technology gets outdated so fast it is not worth it for any company to do.

Yeah, it was more just wishful thinking on my part.

droo94

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007

For game consoles I believe it's the 3rd party retailers who sometimes have trade-in programs when the newer version is released. However, just as with cars, you should get a much better price for it if sell it yourself.

For computers a trade-in program could make some sense as part of being more "green". The companies could still scavenge the parts while possibly getting some tax breaks for properly dumping the rest(???). I'm not sure if this would be super cost-effective but I don't think it's necessarily out of the question.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
For computers a trade-in program could make some sense as part of being more "green". The companies could still scavenge the parts while possibly getting some tax breaks for properly dumping the rest(???). I'm not sure if this would be super cost-effective but I don't think it's necessarily out of the question.

The man power required to do this would make it cost prohibitive.

There is virtually no benefit to taking trades.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm surprised how many people I have heard ask the question about if Apple has a "trade-in/trade-up" program. Is this common in other computer companies? I've never even thought about it or even thought it was possible so I'm always surprised when people ask about it. I can't really think of any technology company or technology industry that does this.

Gateway used to do this. They quoted me $50 or $150 off of a new Laptop if I traded in my Dell Latitude. Of course, this was probably 5+ years ago, when money wasn't so tight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.