New Macbooks at retail stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Celeron, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if the retail stores have the new Macbooks in stock for purchase today? I'd call but I can't while I'm at work.

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I'd like to see some benchmarks between this new revision and the older one.

3. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I called Tekserve in NY, and they said it'll be a few days. Anyone else finding them at online retailers?

4. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Funny how the US store has the new specs but the UK online store doesn't.

I'm going up the town tomorrow, I'll pop into the Apple Store while I'm there.

I didn't expect anything more than a processor upgrade at this point anyway, I thought they would give the Mac Book Pro the aluminium upgrage next year first.

5. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got home and called my local Apple store (in Crabtree Valley Mall) and they said they had a whole bunch of the new MacBooks. Stopped by about an hour later and walked out with a new 2.2ghz white MacBook. Woohoo!

One thing to note is that the displays in the store weren't updated; they still had the 2.16ghz signs out. Needless to say, they had them in the back.

6. Matteh117 macrumors regular

I think I saw something in TUAW..

7. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I saw something somewhere where they took Apple's own benchmarks comparing the new MacBook to an original MacBook and the previous MacBook to an original MacBook. They tried to extrapolate how much faster the new one was. Didn't seem much faster at all.

But, for me, I'm wanting to replace an PM G4 with a MacBook and also run Windows at the same time. Either one will be significantly faster, but I've been waiting for the 4 GB of RAM.

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

UK store down at the moment, guess they are finally updating the MacBooks and MacBook Pros now.

Was in the Apple store in Birmingham yesterday and no sign of the new ones.

9. ale500 macrumors regular

German store is also down... and they updated it with new MBs last night... may be something slipped... I wanted a new mac mini, seems that I'll wait a bit longer... :apple:

10. tuosfan macrumors member

picked up my awesome new macbook last night at Bethesda, MD Montgomery mall store!..

some pricing suggestions..

use a student discount if you can and...

discover card has a promotion going on right now where for every $200 you spend in a particular mall you get a $20 gift card (up to 5 cards). so you get $100 back in discover cards right away!

now to learn how to use this thing..

11. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

New MacBooks in retail stores!

Went into the Glasgow :apple: Store last night.

Old MacBooks are still on display buy sales staff confirmed that they have the new MacBooks in the back and I could take one away with me if I wanted.
    (I declined because I was on a night out and would probably leave it in the pub)

Specs are as per the online store, but interestingly they can now take up to 4GB memory.

I'm off to get one today :D:):D

12. Matteh117 macrumors regular

Phoned John Lewis this morning to see if they had the new models in stock, but after a few minutes of not getting through I gave up. Phoned Apple Kingston and within seconds of pressing 5 for operator, I was talking to someone who told me they have the new models in stock. Asked if I could reserve one and was told that as long as I came ASAP I could have one put aside for me.

On the way to the Apple store I popped into John Lewis just to check. The Apple salesman there had no idea what I meant by "You know, the new Santa Rosa processor chip... now 2.2GHz". Neither of them knew that this had been released. Great - let's get out of here.

Walked into the Apple store, which was packed but a couple minutes of looking over the shelves near the genius bar I was offered assistance. Off he wet to get my MacBook, took payment on the wireless chip and pin and off I went.

Overall the experience was awesome. Great service from the Apple guys, and so far this machine has been great too!

I use Macs at work and have done for around a year now, but I've never had my own one so this rocks!

Err... yeah, what I meant was - they do have them. :p

13. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

Do you guys know if non-Apple retail stores (ie, Best Buy) are carrying the newer MB models? The Best Buy website still lists the old models. I'm gonna buy my first Mac since the mid-90s.

14. yukon0013 macrumors regular

yukon0013

Yeah... I am wondering the same thing because i am in Canada.. Does anyone here know how long it would take a place like futureshop to get the new macbook in ??

15. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I checked a lot of shops and websites yesterday (John Lewis, PC World, Currys, Pricerunner), they all seem to be oblivious to the upgrade.

I would assume it will take them at least 1-2 weeks to get up-to-date.

(BTW, I don't like to shop in Dixon Stores Group, it's just a favorite past time of mine to go in and ask them tech questions about Apple products just to see the look on their face and hear what poor sorry excuse of an answer they are going to give. Santa-whatsa?)

16. Matteh117 macrumors regular

John Lewis in Kingston had the exact same response

17. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Yeah, I saw your earlier post, I was a bit surprised at that because John Lewis are normally quite good. However their website still shows the old spec but I wasn't expecting that to be updated until midweek anyway.

Maybe all these retailers were expecting announcement on 6 Nov like the rest of us, and this has slipped under their radar (or Apple has them under contract not to sell before 6/11)