New MacBooks Before September 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PhillyPhan, Jun 3, 2008.

1. PhillyPhan macrumors newbie

So, I'm starting law school this fall and I'm ready to switch to a MacBook. I'd like to take advantage of the student back to school deal, but I've been reading the rumors saying a new MacBook is likely at some point in the near future.

So, do you guys think it will be released before the end of the back to school sale on September 15? If it is released before then, will it still count under the deal? Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I bought a MB in August '07 and the next new MBs didn't show up until February '08, so it really is "a cat and mouse game" from the get go. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Welcome to the MB Family when it does happen. :cool:

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. Konvert macrumors newbie

Konvert

I would wait, if you can, because there's a chance that apple may release something by september. This would replace the current model so would almost certainly mean the ipod offer would hold. However if you can't wait then I say buy it now otherwise wait until September 14th (maybe not that late, but you get the idea:)).

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

after reading this i would think apple would wait until this deal is over in order to get as much as the old models out the door as possible, and then release the new model. that would make the most business sense for them. sucks for the consumer but what can you do apple is in it to make money not for charity.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. joe16 macrumors newbie

joe16

When exactly in the fall are you starting law school? If you're switching to the Mac platform, you may want to set aside some time to get used to it (say 2-3 weeks). Although I wish revisions are in the near future myself, I've come to accept the fact that they'll probably update the notebook line in September (the latest Intel processors will first be introduced in July, with main manufacturing in August). I'll wait until after WWDC, and if nothing happens, I'll jump in before I second guess myself.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Uhh, no. It was nearly 6 months to the day from the last update and nearly exactly 1 year from the one before that. It was HIGHLY anticipated at the time.

Are you thinking of the February Penryn update, perhaps?

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Also your LINK mentions:

"This confirms previous rumors from ThinkSecret that Apple would introduce a new MacBook by "the first half of November". Sadly, few details on the upcoming machines are presently available."
    ;)

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I see. Quietly ≠ surprise (at least not on this board).

Santa Rosa was a forgone conclusion if you read any of the posts at the time (X3100 being the giveaway).

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' but "sadly" on my part I was not available to read many of the posts at the time. I was also confused with the earlier release of MBP Santa Rosa:

http://apcmag.com/new_santa_rosa_macbook_pros_released_by_apple_this_morning.htm

So, I can only plead ignorance and confusion for my shortcomings. :eek:

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

This is why I don't see a Montevina MacBook before the Fall. Usually the MBP gets the new hardware in the summer and then the MacBook follows later. The forced move to Penryn in February was, IMO, something that would have been scheduled for a May release had Intel not pushed. Thus we have May 06/Nov 06/May 07/Nov 07/Feb 08/Sep-Nov 08/ as a MacBook update cycle but anything is possible and Apple has surprised in the past (in both ways).

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm just reeling from all that info. But as you describe it, I'm not going to be surprised either if there is a new release at WWDC or shortly thereafter.

16. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I REALLY hope so. i plan on holding out as long as i can for my first macbook (and iPod touch so that i can sell it and put it towards and iPhone) this summer