New Macbooks>Current iMacs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinkster, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I have been planning on buying a new iMac soon(next couple of weeks), but now I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to get one of the new Macbooks?

I know nothing is confirmed, but would it be at all likely that the new Macbooks will have a graphics card about as powerful as the current iMac's 2600 Pro? Are there any other major hardware limitations(besides screen)? Harddrive space isn't important to me.

I was planning on using the iMac with the 20" monitor I have now, to have dual screens, but I don't really have anything to put on another screen, and I would have another 13" to put things on anyhow, along with my main 20" monitor if I buy the Macbook.

Also, I was planning on buying a netbook for school for about $500 at some point, so it would be important to factor that in. Looks like I can kill two birds with one stone, and not have to "upgrade" both a laptop and desktop in the future...as long as the graphics chip of the new Macbooks aren't allot weaker then the iMac's.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Everything is speculation until the actual event tomorrow.

3. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know, I was just trying to get a feel for things if it does have the new Nvidia thing.

I'll ask again tommmor/the 15.

4. iceblade macrumors member

I really doubt the new macbooks will be better then the iMacs, because I think iMacs have dedicated graphics cards, where as macbooks will probably still have integrated graphics. The new macbooks will be a lot better then the old ones, if its true they are using new nvidia chipsets or whatever and that means what I think it means, but they won't be better then the iMacs, simply because the iMacs have dedicated graphic cards.

In short, before I got all confusing and long winded:

No. I don't anticipate the new macbooks graphic cards being as good or better then the current iMacs. If you want or need the graphical power, I'd say go with an iMac. In my opinion, thats all the iMac has on the macbook: Is a better graphics card (edit: and a superdrive out of the box, bigger hard drive, stuff that 'better', like a bigger harddrive, faster processor/edit), and a slightly faster processor. Unfortunately, that can be a fairly big and important thing ;).