New macbooks. Drop in leopard vs preinstalled.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twombles62, Nov 5, 2007.

1. twombles62 macrumors member

Hey all,
    I'm looking to buy a new macbook in Australia. A few places i've checked out are still selling the old model, and the floor guys didn't seem to know about the Santa Rosa macbooks. That considered, are the new macbooks likely to have drop in copies of leopard? Or are they the old ones?

Also, is it preferable either way to have a drop in copy or preinstalled?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A drop-in gives you the option of moving to Leopard later. If not all of your apps are compatible then it'll be better to stick with Tiger for a little while.

3. KristenM macrumors regular

Leopard is pre-installed here in the States. I bought it the first day it came out and the guy who sold it to me was just as bummed as I was when we found out there wasn't a drop-in. He had just been telling me that I could go ahead and use it for my iMac so I could save the money upgrading.

4. zsno macrumors member

Using it on a computer other than the one it was packaged with would have been a violation of the licensing agreement anyways.

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

True but apple doesn't even require a SN when installing an OS... kinda weird but I'm not complaining ;) I got the SR MB the day it was released too and it had Leopard preinstalled as well.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

You should spend a weekend with me, you'd have a heart attack at all the rules I break.

To the iMac user who wanted to use the disc to upgrade, don't you have the DVD that came with the system? You can install from that too. They should give you a copy of an OS, even though it's Leopard. I'm assuming the drop ins include a Tiger system disc and a Leopard install DVD.

7. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

if you are going to use leopard and have no need for tiger... or even if you are eventually going to us leopard... i would say definitely Pre-Installed.

with the drop-in... it could take more time away from you, or you could encounter some minor hitches, or have to try again, or who knows? all should go smoothly but mhy take the chance and turn it into an ordeal?

Personally, I am going to wait until Leopard gets a .1 update maybe even .2 and then buy. Also because not all the 3rd party devs and apps i have on my TiPB are fully compatible with leopard. I'm gonna wait until they smooth out the wrinkles.

imo, pre-installed is the way to go ;) just have to fight the uuurrrrge to play with a new one *rightnow*.

8. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

It's odd: I ordered a 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz on Oct 29 2007, it shipped from China on Nov 1 2007 and I received yesterday Nov 5 2007 with Tiger pre-installed and a Lepoard drop-in disk.

I had been assured it would come with Leopard pre-installed (which is what I wanted) and I was expecting Leopard Restore DVDs.

I just called Apple Care and they are saying they don't make the Leopard Restore DVDs yet, everything ships out with Tiger model-specific restore DVDs + a Leopard drop-in disc. Is this true?

9. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

10. KristenM macrumors regular

I do have the 2 Version 10.5 discs it came with. Will it work? When the guy at the store found out it was pre-installed he said "that sucks because they're tied to the computer so you can't install it on another one."

11. KristenM macrumors regular

That's weird. Mine came with 2 Mac OS Version 10.5 install discs, Disc version 1.1.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Check the week of manufacture on these machines. I bet that the guy who didn't get 10.5 preinstalled has a machine that was manufactured before Apple switched over. Kristen's probably was built after the switch.

The other guy also bought a MBP. The recently introduced SR MBs were designed to ship with Leopard from the start, so they never made Tiger install discs for them. It may take a little longer to ramp up the switch on the other models.

13. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

My MBP was made in week 44. It did come with the 2 Restore DVDs (+ 1 Leopard drop in disc) and they also say Disc Version 1.1.

Weird.

14. Enigmur macrumors newbie

Mine came with Tiger installed and a Drop In for Leopard.

I asked for it this way to give Leopard some time, so I could check out this forum and see whats up – I’m going to wait for 10.5.1.

I have had no problems at all with Tiger, and I’m starting to find my way around OS X – so I’d rather stay on Tiger because it runs sweet. I wouldn’t want to try and deal with issues on Leopard seeing as I have no experience with OS X at all.

From the sounds of it, issues are pretty mixed, I guess it depends how you use the OS – I’m sure for someone like myself I wouldn’t have troubles, but I’m going to wait.

I’m not brave enough to early adopt, and I can install it whenever I like – plus I have a great stable OS to use in the mean time.

15. KristenM macrumors regular

My MB was week 43. Maybe it's just the difference between the MB and MBP.