Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delarock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
Hallou,

Starting apx. at 5 th minute.
What is the reasong of this ghosting ? Not present on ipad pro M1. High latency ?

Reactions: OSX15

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
There's a few rumours around it, including a Twitter post by Anandtech. I'm waiting for a more in-depth review where they really drill down on it. Both this and Anandtech's example showed it best in slow motion, with white text on a black background. Remains to be seen how it will be in real use.

Delarock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
But one thing iam happy with , is not presence of darker edge on this mini led comparing to ipad pro. ( I hope so, no one mention in in their reviews)

Reactions: yitwail

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
There's a few rumours around it, including a Twitter post by Anandtech. I'm waiting for a more in-depth review where they really drill down on it. Both this and Anandtech's example showed it best in slow motion, with white text on a black background. Remains to be seen how it will be in real use.
Where is this tweet? I do not see Anandtech tweeting about it, unless you mean someone who works for Anandtech?

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
But one thing iam happy with , is not presence of darker edge on this mini led comparing to ipad pro. ( I hope so, no one mention in in their reviews)
It's still there if you look for it. But it's veeeeeeery subtle. I don't know how bad it is on the iPad, but on my 16" MBP... total non-issue.

Reactions: yitwail

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
That is not normal as my M1 12.9 iPad Pro has no ghosting.

It only has blooming in a pitch black room and if the brightness is turned up high.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
I’d be disturbed if that happened just scrolling a browser window, but swear I’ve seen videos where it’s scrolling normally.

Reactions: OSX15

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
This is very important because I spend all my time jiggling the trackpad like that.
If you have never used a high refresh rate display with extremely low latency than it is a noticeable difference. I will wait to really see, hopefully the latency (ghosting issue) really isn't noticeable. It's a big amount $ to accept sever ghosting.

thislsmadness

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
People did complain about ghosting on the iPad.. and also the 2019 MBP 16. And various other MBPs. Apple's displays usually have very slow response times in the 35-50ms range. I wonder if the effect is worst on this or are people just noticing it.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
People did complain about ghosting on the iPad.. and also the 2019 MBP 16. And various other MBPs. Apple's displays usually have very slow response times in the 35-50ms range. I wonder if the effect is worst on this or are people just noticing it.
Having response times that high on a 120 Hz display doesn’t make sense, since 120 Hz is 8.33 ms. I know refresh rate and pixel response are not synonymous, but just saying.

Reactions: Newfiejudd

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
mine is pretty ghosty... but you don't notice it after a while. Just don't stare at the mouse cursor and you'll be fine

Reactions: Mc0

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Having response times that high on a 120 Hz display doesn’t make sense, since 120 Hz is 8.33 ms. I know refresh rate and pixel response are not synonymous, but just saying.

Apple's displays have been slammed for not even having response times able to keep up with 60Hz (5K iMac, modern Retina MacBooks). The iPad Pro when 120Hz was added had similar issues and threads. This is practically SOP for Apple at this point.

My 16" MBP smears as it is, so this isn't too surprising to see. Apple's probably more interested in just smoothness of motion, and cadence matching video content, not clarity at these framerates. Which *is* a shame, motion clarity is honestly an undervalued metric on monitors and TVs alike. I'm mostly just hoping it's not objectionable when I get mine.

Hallonskalle

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2020
Im getting the 16 tomorrow gonna make a video and compare with my 2019 16 and share with you guys. Damn I was so hyped about finally good snappy 120hz displays in these paired with M1. If the new one is the same as my old I return it.

Reactions: OSX15 and Delarock

drvelocity

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
So after using with my 16” this morning I can confirm that the response rate on these panels is lackluster. 120 hz doesn’t feel like 120 hz, in fact changing between 60hz and promotion settings it’s a very subtle difference. It’s disapponting but the display otherwise is ****ing gorgeous with near OLED blacks. I didn’t expect 120hz this time so it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Agrailag

Delarock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
So after using with my 16” this morning I can confirm that the response rate on these panels is lackluster. 120 hz doesn’t feel like 120 hz, in fact changing between 60hz and promotion settings it’s a very subtle difference. It’s disapponting but the display otherwise is ****ing gorgeous with near OLED blacks. I didn’t expect 120hz this time so it’s not a deal breaker for me.
Do you have ipad pro or another device with pro motion or it is your first device with this feature. Something it seems percepetion of 120 hz is very subjective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.