New MacBooks Hard Drive : 250 or 320 GB ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Terwal, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Terwal macrumors regular

Hi,

About to buy the new MB 2.4Ghz, assuming I can get my hand on one at the local Apple store.

Thinking of getting the 250GB HD, and potentially swapping for the 320GB at some later stage.

Would like to check the price of a 320GB HD (that fits the MB), assuming I was to get it today.

=> Anybody knows where to find one ? I have no idea if there are some specs I need to be mindful of.

Thanks for any help,

W.

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

http://www.macsales.com/

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

apple prices for all the upgrades seem to be closer to the competition now...i mean, the 100 dollar upgrade to the 320GB HD is actually cheaper than most on newegg...

4. ohemetophobia macrumors member

Personally, I'd just get a portable external hard drive. Chances of you needing that much hard drive space on a laptop aren't very good, unless you're storing a TON of stuff.

A 1 TB external will generally run you about $150-$200, which is a MUCH better deal, if you can sacrifice the mobility a little.

5. MacManNM macrumors newbie

I ordered mine with 320, seems like a good deal.

6. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Do you really fill it up? I have 100gb hd and it has plenty of space...

7. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

Help me out... Is my thinking wrong ?

- the cost of the upgrade offered by Apple indeed seems to be in line with the cost of a brand new external hard drive with the same capacity. If you look at the following example, http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD3200BEKT/ (thanks andrewdale for the link), the new one is $25 more expansive, but has 7200rpm versus 5400 for the upgrade. Let's call it on par.

- yes but why upgrading now for the same price, if you can buy a new one later when you really need it, and get both a 250GB (the one that came with the MacBook) and a 320GB (the new one you just bought).

- not even mentioning that one could expect prices of HD to continue to decrease over time

Don't take me wrong: I think the new MacBook is a great new product (I want one), quite fairly priced, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something for this "detail".