New Macbooks...in COLOR?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NiroNavro, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NiroNavro macrumors regular

With the release of the fourth generation iPod nano line we have seen the birth of a beautiful spectrum of colored, aluminum-cased products. With a move towards aluminum casing for the Macbooks in the near future isn't it possible that we'll see Macbooks in those same colors? I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm just saying...what if? The possibilities would be outstanding. These bright and shiny spectrum spectacles would sell like hotcakes with an advertising campaign that pairs the new Macbooks along with their multi-colored brethren, the fourth generation iPod nanos. A move that in turn could push the sales of both products to an all time high. Assuming the prices of the Macbooks come down to a reasonable level. Any opinions? I think it would be cool. Colored products really do sell like hotcakes.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple's done it before with the clamshell iBooks, and they seem to be moving back to brightly colored items ... It's possible.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i actually would like for the macbooks to get some color in them...i think that would make them look better

but of course if they really do move to aluminum, they should keep the normal silver

the only thing that i could see wrong with that is if they do the whole macbook in color, like the keyboard and everything...so it would be interesting to see if they do it and how

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The production costs would be mental :p And only certain coloured products sell well, there's always one colour that no-body likes out of the current nanos, and come the next generation, apple will be pushed to sell it, however, I would love to see a bright blue macbook, it would be quite cool, even if a bit loud...

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds logical. Plus I do expect a metallic case for all future Macs, as the Oil used in Plastics is expensive, and there are limits to how many times plastic can be recycled, and almost no limit to how many times aluminum can be recycled.

TEG

6. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

sounds good, apple should do that but i wonder if people will buy all the sorts of color.
    but yea aluminum would be a bit better for the tad hot macbooks. and you can also get different colors. just for macbooks that is. they should make a black MBP at least tho. oh well. but yea it would be very interesting to see colorful macbooks in the market.

7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

That would certainly pry those dollars out of my wallet...'course the light of day might scare them...:eek:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. gonyr macrumors 6502

How about instead of charging extra for colors (which would probably happen), they charge less, and I don't care what color they give me. It could look like a dropcloth and be covered with leftover paint (or whatever they use). Just lower the base price of a macbook to $900 or so.

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That would seem possible, but it would be a lot less colors. Keeping 20-30 MacBooks for each color is about 225 MacBooks.

11. mbleopard macrumors regular

I was thinking about this the other day when they showed off the new iPods, I would like to see Apple come out with different colors for the MB, I just hope if its not all one color, for example if its green, its not all green but the color of the keys are the same color as the click wheel on the iPod, so white in this case

It would definitely make them stand out from the other manufactures, but to agree with some other people, i dont see all the colors selling that well

12. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If they do, I imagine a scaled BTO option. Less desirable colours will be standard, or come on the base models. More desirable colours will come at a premium, either for some additional cost, or only on the top of the line models (like the Blackbook now).

This solves the problem of having to keep tonnes of different colours in stock at each store. Still a bit of a production nightmare, but since people already have to wait for BTO units anyway, the delays would be expected.

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The outer parts of the case could be in color, while the inner parts of the case could be regular aluminum color regardless.

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

color macbook

I would love to see a red aluminium macbook but i dont think that will ever happen.

15. David G. macrumors 6502a

"Everyone wants a [red aluminum] MacBook because they are so b******'." - altered Steve Jobs quote.

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah i would figure that...but im not sure if it would look that great if they did that...

17. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The thread reminds me of one a couple of weeks ago in the Mac Pro forum regarding possible new cases for them- and a picture I whipped up showing a similar thought with Mac Pros! :D

Hey, it could happen!;)

Attached Files:

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

o_O

cough....cough....vomit

19. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

Tada the new BlueBook

Attached Files:

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Couldn't agree with you more! Just why I whipped that up originally- to show that it might sound good BUT.... then reality strikes. :D

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Colored MacPros NEVER. Colored MacBooks, I think it's imminent now.
    I'd probably get an orange one if I happen to buy an orange nano.

22. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So lifelike. Do you do contract work?

23. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah, but you can already get that done by ColorWare - as well as about 30 other colors and a lot of color combos too! :)

Attached Files:

24. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, I could definitely imagine that as a BTO option. Would sure make repair/replacement of defective units a pain for Apple to manage though! I can just see the refurb store now! ;)

25. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

Mine does too. The New UT Orangebook:

Attached Files: