new macbooks run very cool

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morrisman1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i use speedfan and i have set the base fan speed to 1100rpm. thats what the fan is currently spinning at and the cpu is sitting at 42°C and thats just browsing the web with a couple of light applications open. with itunes running it would sit at 45°C. im pleased...the bottom panel doesnt even have any warm spots on it, the whole panel feels cool to me.

2. Smacky macrumors 6502

Well if you dont stress it then of course it will be cool
    Its more important the system can handle high loads without overheating

3. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

my cpu temp sits steady around 50 but I've got the 2.4 idk if that makes the diff

4. youssefm macrumors 6502

my macbook gets really hot when i start playing the sims, listening to iTunes, have mail, safari and msn open ;)

otherwise it runs really cool

5. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

hi guys got my macbook a few hours ago and im loving it best thing i got for this year . this is the first time im using a macbook (typing this on it right now) and its like ive been using this touchpad forever i got use to it in minutes ...im trying to transfer my files from my pc to the mac and everytime i got to use this pc im thinking it the touchpad im using lol lol lol this is amazing ..anyways....

i got and external hard drive and i hooked it up to the mac first and time machine did its thing now i got like 60GB of data on a pc and when i plug it on the pc i dont see the external hard drive anywhere and its says it has installed the drivers and its ready to use what am i doing wrong plz help

6. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

Firstly Congratulations on switching and welcome
    2nd This is posted out of place there is a board specifically for mac osx related questions (you'd prob get more responses by starting a new thread there)
    and finally I can answer your question!!!
    Your PC is probably not responding with the external hdd because of the way it is formatted. I'm thinking a mac only format is applied to the drive making it inaccessible to the PC. If you simply use Disk Utility (use command + spacebar to activate spotlight and type disk utility) you can use that which has a list of formatting options and descriptions as to what type of machine the partition is readable for. Unfortunately this means your time machine backup will be erased along with formatting. If you plan to use the drive exclusively with a mac then I recommend formating with windows (NTSC) and then transfering your files. After that reformat again in OSX with the mac only partition and do another time machine backup.
    Congrats again enjoy your new :apple:

7. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

thanks will try that my backup wasnt that big so i can risk it

8. meekgeek macrumors newbie

The temperatures on my 2.0 GHz MacBook Alu isn't as good and I wonder why. It never goes below 50, and usually sits around 55 on idle.

I'm kinda disappointed as I moved from a plastic MacBook with a Merom CPU to the current Penryn one. The plastic MacBook used to spin its fans like crazy when its mildly taxed, and this Alu one does as well.

I'm thinking it might be some overzealous application of thermal paste again?

Although as the original poster mentioned, the Alu does feel cool to the touch, much more so than the plastic ones.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Check Activity Monitor and make sure there aren't any processes that are hanging up your CPU and making the laptop stay warm....