New macbooks should be coming soon right?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amycishere, May 9, 2011.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

I have a 2006 that is still working pretty well but I am waiting for the new models to come out. I have viewed the buyers guide and I am hopeful but I know there is no guarantee.

2. TenderBranson macrumors member

That's the word on the street...though I suspect if they're not updated in June you'll have to wait for a mid-September refresh

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple discontinued the Macbook. The Macbook Air is quite literally "the future of macbooks".

4. JBG87 macrumors member

i dont understand why people keep saying this

a 999.99 macbook is far better than the 999.99 air

5. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

I'm almost sure that there was a reasonable post here saying that the white macbook will not be continued, just search for it.

Anyway, the most low end MBP was IMO always the better deal compared to the MacBook, but that's personal preference.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you have a Microcenter.com store near you they have the 13" MBP for $999 (MB price). the deal is pickup only.

The MB should not be discontinued as it is a low end Mac laptop that has a real niche - those that need a computer but don't need anything heavy duty. If there is not a under $1,000 option then people may go to a PC.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

No, it depends on what you want your laptop to do. For many things Ill take my 11" Air over my 13" MacBook any day. Its certainly faster, and just as capable, the only things its missing are ethernet and a optical drive, neither of which is that important anymore for most people.

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

It's not faster.... it's just got an SSD.

The MB has a faster CPU, can hold more RAM, bigger HDD, optical drive, longer battery, and faster CPU would let the GPU shine more, and a built in NIC. That's 7 areas the MB trumps the MBA, all the 11in MBA has is weight, and the SSD. which you can also add to the MB. You cant add storage, or ram to the MBA for the low cast you can the MB.

I have an 11in Air, but I would NEVER say it's as capable or as fast as a MB, and definitely not as good as a MB with a $99 SSD.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

We can argue about the merits of the MBA vs. MB all day. Only time will tell if Apple thinks the machine is worth keeping around. Personally, I think they'll scrap it. The MBA certainly sells better than the low-end Macbook.

10. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you to all of you. If it goes away, I'll just have to go with a macbook pro. I like having the features of a normal laptop.

11. bitsoda, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

bitsoda macrumors member

Apple will most certainly be updating the plastic MacBook in June. This is pure conjecture on my part, but logic dictates a refresh. The MBA sells more because it was released five months after the MacBook in 2010 (May vs October) and because the hardware received a complete redesign whereas the MacBook released in May did not. It's also worth noting that the MacBook is Apple's back-to-school laptop offering with its blend of a sub $1,000 price tag and comparable performance to the MacBook Pro sans amenities like an aluminum enclosure and backlit keyboard.

For school-use, a MB lends itself much better to productivity than does a MBA. 64GB of storage space is not enough for 2-4 years away at college or high school. Moreover, despite the high pixel density, the 11.6" screen could prove difficult to read for those with poor eyesight. Most importantly for school use, however, is battery life. The $999 MBA has an unimpressive (by Apple's standards) 5 hour battery life compared to the MacBook's 7. The incorporation of the Sandy Bridge architecture will undoubtedly improve battery life on both portables, but the large MacBook will still have the edge as Apple can't possibly cram a significantly larger battery into the MBA's slim, 2.3 lbs chassis.

Keep your hopes up, a MacBook refresh is very likely in the weeks leading up to or around this year's WWDC in June. I, too, am holding out for one.

12. chrismacguy, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The SSD makes it faster for everyday use which was my point. Im not saying if you pimp up a MacBook it wouldn't remain not as fast for everyday use, Im saying taking both in default shipping configuration, the MacBook Air feels faster and for a lot of uses is better than the Air. For what I use a laptop for, I don't need the faster CPU yaddayaddayadda, so the Airs weight trumps everything else my MacBooks provide for my use.

Also, capability depends on scenario. I fly frequently, and the weight difference between the Air and MacBook makes the Air a much better choice (And the fact it actually fits on a tray table with room to spare instead of my MacBook which doesn't let me have space for a drink).

Errr 64GB is easily enough for most of what college students do. 4 years of college work will barely pass 2GB let alone the 50 odd that comes free in the 11" Air, only if your doing video editing do you need more space (I do this, which is why I have a Mac Pro with oodles of space, otherwise Id be quite happy with just my Air). Also, you can take the 11" to 128GB if you want. (Or even all the way to 480GB if your not scared and will open your Air up). Also, I have dodgy eyes, and I love the 11" Air, Despite the screen density, you can still use the laptop, even if you just temporarily reduce the resolution of the screen. (I did the same on my MacBooks at 1280*800). My MacBook Air gets 7hrs of battery life in a package half the weight. Maybe mines a miracle, but I currently have a battery after about a 100 cycles thats at 111% of design capacity, and works flawlessly for 6.5hrs with 45% Brightness, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on and sat there webbrowsing and writing notes and having email open, iCal, address book etc.

13. LarryC, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

I'm not a doctor, but I do sense that there is a disease that is running rampant on this website. I call it SSDisease. It tends to affect the brains of certain people. These people tend to be very young and to have a tremendous amount of control issues. It seems that the area of the brain that is most affected is the area that produces that quality that we all know as common sense. It seems that common sense is soon to be added to the list of endangered qualities. That's right I said qualities and not species. It saddens me greatly to know that Dr. Jonas Salk, possibly the worlds greatest virologist passed away in 1995. If only we had him here at this time, he might have been able to save us from this somewhat new and virulent SSDisease. All we can do is pray that another great, but yet unknown young virologist will come forth with a cure. Until then, we must hope that they are not able to do too much harm until a cure is found. Maybe our laptop sized hard-drives with capacities such as 750GB will be able to survive without becoming extinct.

One of the things I actually like about "America" is that we are all able to choose the lives that we lead and the things that we wish to purchase. If the SSDiseased individuals have their way, we will all be forced to only be able to purchase what this miniscule number of people want us to have. Their version of America will be called "Amerika." Where the few tell the many what they are allowed to buy, posess, use, and enjoy. And so, dear readers, until next time, stay safe, do not associate with the SSDiseased among us (we aren't sure at this point that it isn't contagious.) See you next time. Good night.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I think I've decided on a MB, buying it at BestBuy today because they are on sale. I already have a 2009 MBP that is just over a year old So I don't need another one. I just want a second laptop that I can also run Windows on and have good battery life. I had a black MB for a few months so I know how well they run.

I also don't care so much if a new one is coming soon. I bought my MBP in March last year, a month before new ones came out. It runs perfectly for what I do: Internet, watching TV shows/movies and a few other things.

I thought about getting an iMac again or a Mini but I like laptops and not having to sit down at a table to use the thing for however long I need to use it. The MBP and the MB will be my only Macs now.

15. matt90036 macrumors regular

This is actually the best bang for your back in terms of quality. New laptops have lots of problems but the ones that have been around for awhile have most of their problems solved or at leasat you know what to expect.

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I simply don't agree. ;)

This, I agree.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I had planned on getting a MB a few days ago but when that morning came, I just didn't feel good about spending the money.

I keep going between the MB, MBA and the low end MBP. Again, I already have a 2009 15" MBP and in last place, a Dell laptop with Blu-ray.

I like the MB though it only has 2GB ram, I could always upgrade it but my MBP often needs rebooting when it crawls sometimes with it's 4GB ram with internet usage in sites that use flash. I have Safari, Chrome and Firefox running at the same time running flash sites and once every few weeks I will have to reboot.

My 2.4GHZ MBP also has a rough time playing videos purchased in iTunes. Doesn't matter if they are HD or not. Often times, the display is black or flashing bits if the picture for about the first 45 seconds of any video. After 45 seconds, the video plays and I will have to move the slider to the beginning to watch the 45 seconds I missed. If I watch another video right away, it usually plays from the start. I had a low end MBP in the past that had 2GB ram and it too had the same problem. Videos are on 1TB drives in a LaCie enclosure connected via firewire. I'm afraid that no matter what Mac I get, the same problem will carry on. This is the biggest problem that is worrying me in buying whatever Mac I decide on.

I also had a 2008 MP 2.8GHZ octo core that had the same problem but not as bad. Videos in iTunes are half of what I use the computer for.

A MBA has no optical drive but I do know I can insert a CD or DVD in my MBP and use it on the MBA to install apps and such.

I guess I could always pick one and if I'm not happy, exchange it for another model.

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't really understand why you want a Macbook when you have a 2009 Macbook Pro. They're basically the same computer.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I want a second computer so that I can run Windows without having to leave what I am doing on my MBP. There are a few apps that I use that are only available for Windows. Yes, I could get a Windows laptop cheap but I want another Mac because I can't run OS X on it as well. Exclude the Macs in my sig, I haven't had them in almost two years.

20. hexonxonx, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

hexonxonx macrumors 601

I ended up buying a black 2.4 GHZ Macbook with 4GB ram on Craigslist. The seller included a nice bookendz dock with it. I'm loving this and felt much better about buying this than a new MB with less ram. I can also change the battery myself and it has firewire.

21. jonnny macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook at some point soon, but need it probably by the week after WWDC (when I guess they'll launch the new ones).

Do you reckon if I got one of the current model that week they'd let me exchange it for a new one when they hit the shops?

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference - and would like to take advantage of the Back to School promo.

Thanks in advance!
    Jon

22. iAppleseed macrumors regular

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple has discontinued the MacBook.