New Macbooks starting 949 Pounds???!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chameleon81, Oct 14, 2008.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm guessing the manufacturing process must be too costly to offer it at the £799 price point, atleast they dropped the price of the white macbooks to £719, thats a little nugget of joy to some people...

4. cb31 macrumors member

You mean they raised the base white macbook from £699 to £719. Maybe Apple haven't heard of the worldwide recession we are all facing. Apple laptops are good but not that good to justify price increases.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

just noticed for anyone thats interested, obviously someone really wasnt paying attention when this was sent to the web design team...

spot the mistake...

Attached Files:

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

So much for the Lasers LEDs........ Give me back the old MBP type construction with old screens at $900 and I'm good...... apparently the lowest end model for aforementioned is also bloody above my dreamed price......

^^ o_O link link pls........

7. Barney6871 macrumors newbie

The UK pricing is, to be fair, a bit of a joke.

This now current white macbook is essentially the base model with the combo drive replaced with a superdrive. In the US the price drops $100 - in the UK it has gone up £20.

This is primarily due to exchange rates blah blah and at the last refresh and the one prior to that the pound was strong. There has now been a drop against the dollar and that translates into pricing been 15% higher than really it ought to be.

Also remember in the US their pricing is exclusive of various taxes, state, sales tax etc - whereas in the UK our prices include VAT.

The best you could have hoped for was say $1300 translating into £750 plus vat giving you somewhere around £880, which has been rounded up to £949.

Even if it were $2 to the pound you would still be paying £650 + vat plus a bit more so £799 would have been the cheapest you would have seen it for.

To a degree you dont mind paying a premium for the latest gear but £949 is too steep. And £719 for a laptop that has dropped in price, yet gone up, is too high. THat ought really to be £649....and to be honest the spec isnt that great.

A better deal is to buy the 2.4ghz "old" middle version with a 160gb hard drive and 2gb ram. THat retailed at £829 although you can find it for under £800 - typically £780 - that is a much better deal in my view and should be what you are going for, unless you want the new aluminium one.

All in all - nice cool product but the UK pricing has been a bit of a bad taste

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm afraid its the exchange rate.

The white 2.1ghz Macbook is £611 without any VAT.

£611 into USD is $1065. So $65 less in the US.

9. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

949 is ridiculous i will look for second hand MBP's on Ebay. I believe I can get very clean ones under 950.

10. Barney6871 macrumors newbie

Yes, its clearly the exchange rate, but what is the point in lowering the price of a key product - due to lower costs of manufacturing and parts, and then increasing its cost in various countries.

All this is going to do is annoy people in the UK. You cant tell me that when apple sell a mac in the uk they immediately convert the sterling to dollars and wire the cash to the US. Of course they dont - they will stockpile pounds sterling and convert it to dollars as and when it suits them when the rate for exchange is good. There is no reason at all why apple could not have priced this appropriately and aggressively in the UK.

£949 is just too high.

£719 for the base model macbook (now with superdrive) is actually beyond a joke and you need your head testing to buy that. As i said in my earlier post shop around and you can pick up the next model up with better processor, 40gb more hard drive and double the memory - all for about £780 (in fact ive seen it for £765) and if you find various discount/cashback codes you can actually aquire that model for £725, which is a very good deal.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You can see the link in the bar on safari, but just incase you cba to type it:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/graphics.html

scroll down to the gaming performance bit