new macbooks to get nvidia chipset?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by parkie, Sep 15, 2008.

1. parkie macrumors member

http://www.pcper.com/#NewsID-6155

could be good, they won't suffer from lackluster graphics like the current Intel ones do. If this does happen the new macbooks will perform more like recent macbook pros!! I wonder how much memory they'll support and what speed it'll run at?

anyway, put me down for one :D

p

2. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well that sounds pretty exciting. If they put in a nice display to go along with the LED backlighting, the rumored aluminum design, and if they shave off at least half a pound of weight, it's going to be real tough justifying buying a macbook pro.

Sounds a little too good to be true, but I hope I'm wrong. I say get rid of the optical drive if that means making room for a much better intergrated graphics card.

What does "launching" mean though? Does launching mean notebooks with that IGP are going to be appearing by the end of the month? Or does launching mean design specs will be available for manufactures to use? Or something else?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

while i doubt ill ever need to use it, just the prospect of having it in case i do is nice:)

Has apple ever planned with companies to get unreleased chips into their comps? (not counting the air)

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Doesn't it make sense that they would use the same screen they use in the Air? And, as I type this on my wife's MBA, I will re-emphasize what an amazingly gorgeous screen this is. When I've looked at Macbooks in the store I've been struck by how horrible the current screen is compared to the MBA.

It would be an amazing upgrade for the macbooks to have the Air screen.

With the Air LED, aluminum case...all they'd need is decent graphics and the MBP becomes obsolete. So it seems unlikely they'd do all three of those. Of course I'd still want a MBP just for the bigger screen/higher resolution. (1280x800 really sucks).

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've heard good things about the nVidia MCP79A. You get a 8400M Series GPU on the chipset and the option to include dedicated GDDR3 RAM in addition to sharing system RAM.

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

As long as they are stable. Intel chip sets are rock solid.

7. pinchez macrumors member

The Macbook is in real need of a graphics update imo, I have a Macbook and a Acer One Netbook (white, 120GB HD, 1.5GB ram & Windows XP). They both have the same Video capabilities and both play the same games but the Acer is only £229.00 and looks very nice.

Apple really need to justify the price of a Macbook before i buy another and a good way of doing this would be that Nvidia chipset.

8. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I almost guarantee the next version of the MBP and MBA will have that new Intel SSD as an option. That thing screams, and it only makes sense seeing as how they're now in bed with Intel.

9. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to hear that you can guarantee it, because I wish it to be true. It doesn't seem probable though - Intel's SSDs are SATA, while MBA uses PATA drives. If Apple changed it, they'd either have to offer only SSDs - choice between 80GB or 160GB seems nice, but they're still too expensive I'm afraid - or find 1.8" HDD that both uses SATA interface and is no more than 5mm thick. I don't know if such a drive exists.

10. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

well here's the thing.... you never know if tehy arent going to upgrade the MBP's GPU to a multicore GPU ... which would actually be like a single core compared to a core2duo... and then they would be so much more powerful... it would still be worth buying.. and thats the only reason i see that would cause apple to include discreet graphics in the macbook... so it stays ahead of the competition, but remember whatever happens the MBP will be 1 step ahead.