New macbooks vs my imac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefmesman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. stefmesman, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

stefmesman macrumors 6502

dear macrumor people!

so, for my education next year.(video editing and special effects) i will need an laptop. but the dillema is, i already have an imac. i dont know what to choose. are there people here that can give me advice?

i currently own a late 2009 27'' i7 2.8Ghz, 8gb ram iMac.

I will need to be running Final Cut Pro Studio, Nuke, After Effects, Photoshop and Maya. (heavy user)

now mainly at school i will need it for documenting and also would be nice if i could use it for the programs mentioned above. So im not bound to my imac @ home wishing i could take it with me.

the 2 options for me are.

Sell the iMac and buy an Macbook pro (early 2011) 2,2Ghz i7, 1Gb GDDR5 15'' model (best 15'' in store) with an HR screen. together with an cinema display 27'' for at home.

or

keep the imac and buy a 13'' to just use at school. and use the imac at home.

how does my 2009 iMac compete in the tasks i want to do compared with the new macbook? i sometimes do push my imac to the max. how will the macbook handle this? worth replacing my imac with an macbook? or not worth it?

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that currently, the new MBPs destroy the iMac. However, that may not be the case in a couple of weeks when the new iMacs should be coming out.

3. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

i know, but i really need an mobile device. setting out for a new imac instead of this one wouldnt get me a step closer to what i need :p thanks for the info anyway! :D

4. abhic, Mar 29, 2011

abhic macrumors member

Ok that's really about your preferences. For me, I use Dropbox + External Drives all the time, so data sync isn't a big issue. But depending on how much media you are moving around, it can become a pain to manage without a hitch.

Besides that, the new Sandy Bridge MBP blows everything before it out of the water. The only thing that stands a chance are really the top of the line Mac Pros from 2010. I couldn't even believe that till I saw the stats stack up, its almost misleading that Apple didn't change the looks. But under the hood, this is a new beast, period!

Depending on how big a deal cash is, sell the iMac and get the high-end MBP 15" imho. That's what I opted for. You can see all of the charts I am talking about and a lot more here - http://bit.ly/fp35F7

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'd definitely keep the iMac and buy the MacBook. I have a 3 year old iMac that was the top of the line 3.06 Ghz three years ago. I just ordered/purchased a new 13" MBP to compliment it. I will of course consider replacing the iMac in a few weeks when Apple introduces a new one though.

6. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

im involved with moving lots of media, im a video editor/visual effects artist. (huge files) external hard discs most of the time wont do it for me. (speedwise) cash isnt a huge deal. although i dont want to spend more then 2000. one of the big benefits on the macbook pro is thunderbolt for me. still takes some time for it to be adopted in the market tho.

how much troubles will i have in the future getting an SSD in the optical drive bay? and is 8gb ram really the max this thing can take? would u guys go for 500gb 7200 or 750gb 5400? how about heating? i know my imac can get really hot sometimes. same thing for macbook pro?

thanks!

7. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Moving large files between two computers will be...fail. I would sell your iMac, purchase the MBP and Cinema display. Best of both worlds into one machine you can have with you all the time.

SSD in optical bay? Super easy! 8GB max? No, 16GB is max.

For size, you have a dilemma of speed and storage...of which you kinda need both. Maybe storage more than speed since you're working with huge files. Or just buy the cheapest HD you can now and upgrade to a 750GB 7200RPM HD yourself.

MBP will get hot :)

8. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Oh you know what, just read another thread that reminded me. You can use your 27" iMac as monitor for your MBP, saves you the $1000 of buying the Cinema display but you will not be able to sell your iMac to fund your MBP lol.

9. stefmesman, Mar 29, 2011

stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

buying a top of the line macbook pro and using my imac ''just as screen'' is probably a waste of money. As i see people selling this imac for more then an ACD. I can get a discount of 14%(AOC) on computers i buy at apple (also screens)

i could get an mbp+27'' acd for around 3000 and hope to sell my imac for around 1500-1800? guess that would be the best option now. does anyone know if apple is planning to release new ACD's soon? with 2 thunderbolt ports (for daisylink) and facetime hd maybe?

btw. what would a 16gb ram setup cost me? is this 2x8gb?

10. davmcn macrumors regular

Not to be offensive to anyone that owns a 13 inch Macbook Pro, but if your planning on going professional and editing a lot , your going to want a 15 inch at least. 13 inch is way to small to edit on.

11. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

if it would be my main machine it would be a 15'', 17'' is to big to be portable (everyday to school) imho. even though it weighs the same.

if my imac will still be my main machine ill buy an 13'' for at school.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

go for the 2.2 and cinema display - best of both worlds imo