New Macbooks: Worth buying 1st generation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tournée d'adieu, Sep 18, 2008.

1. tournée d'adieu macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

After my laptop was stolen this summer I decided I would finally give in to my desire to get a macbook; however, as I began to research which would be the best for me, I stumbled across this site and discovered that there are rumblings of a macbook update in the next month or so.

Although I'd be content with getting one of the current line, it seems like waiting a few more weeks would be a good idea, insofar as they may be slightly cheaper, and more importantly, more advanced. Also, I've determined that if I do wait and the model that comes out doesn't appeal to me or seem updated enough to be worth it, I'd just get one of the current generation on clearance or something.

But here's my worry: I've heard some people on this forum warn against buying the first generation of any update. Apparently there are usually a lot of kinks that need ironing out in subsequent updates, and people are usually dissatisfied with the computer they bought the day it was released.

Is this the case? Who here has bought the latest and greatest model before and what was your experience? I'd really appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

2. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I suppose it's always the case to some extent, however, it depends on which MacBook model you're looking for. Most people think changes will include the complete redesign of MacBook, smaller redesign of MacBook Pro, and possibly some minor update to MacBook Air. None of these are * new * products, it's likely just a "subsequent update" you're speaking of. However there's always some risk they've got something wrong. I'd say most risk lies with MacBook, although if changes are mostly about the case and screen, it's not much risk.

I agree it's worth waiting, even if only because the current models will be a bit cheaper after the release of new ones.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The new ones will likely have more problems than current generation but I think the problems are greatly exaggerated. However With all the problems apple is having lately i wouldn't be surprised this one is bad.

It's really up to you.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

wait for the update and see if you like the new design. if yes then wait for 2 weeks and see what problems are reported. if it's really bad buy a refurb old model or wait for 4 more weeks and the problems should be resolved.

5. tournée d'adieu thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds really sensible. I'll probably do this.

For the sake of curiosity, though, what has been people's experience with a product (particularly a laptop) that has been purchased as soon as it was released? I know it's really a product-specific issue, but I wonder what Apple's track record is for this type of thing.