New MacBooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OCSpersonel, Mar 14, 2009.

1. OCSpersonel macrumors regular

So i am a Graphic Artist/Video Editer/Photographer looking for a macbook. and the main questiion i have here is that if i get the New Macbook with 2.4 Ghz Plus 4 gigs of ram and a bigger hard drive, will it be able to run the Adobe CS4 Master Suite? i dont really have the money to go to a pro just yet

2. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Have you thought about a Refurb MBP? $1699 for the low end model. You get a bigger screen, dedicated graphics, and more. Much better in the long run.

Plus, you can always upgrade the ram in the future. I would dish out 100 more dollars for the pro.

But, I think the macbook would be fine also.

3. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

ya, i thought about it but I really dig the new style if the Macbooks.

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, a MacBook will run Adobe CS4, even with 2 GB RAM. You may update your memory later if you feel that 2 GB is not enough - but it will be enough unless you get some really heavy job. The resolution of the screen, however, is just 1280x800. You may get an extra monitor, but then it would be better to have a dedicated video card. And, anyway, the extra money you will spend to buy an external monitor is the extra money you need to buy the MacBook Pro instead of the MacBook...

5. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anyway to plug the macbook into my iMac? And idk how heavy I would be going. If I did some heavy loading what would you recomend upgrading

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

For High Resolution/RAW Photography editing and serious video editing you need a MBP due to CS4's graphics card resource allocation but if your just an amateur messing around with CS4 then the 2.4 Macbook will be fine for you. You'll know if you need a MBP.

7. nufanec macrumors regular

No you don't.

8. windels macrumors regular

windels

I have no experience whit this, but I read a lot of times in these forumes about graphic artists prefering the MBP because of the better screen. the reason is always the same: the colours are more exact; so what looks good on your screen, looks good when you print it. maybe in in theory you could solve this by calibrating your screen, I don't know; maybe someone here could clear this up?

, sam

9. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

So If I got the 15 inch MBP for 2,000 and just waited a while to upgrade me ram I would be ok?

10. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Yes. Are you getting the 15" 2.4GHz for 2,000 or the Refurb MacBook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4gigs of ram and 320gb HD for 2,099?

Just make sure and check the Refurbs and see if there is anything you like.

I would seriously get a Refurb. They are much cheaper, and they are basically new. They have the same warranty and everything.

11. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

so what i dont understand is that the macbook has a 9400m graphics card with the same specs as a MBP with the 9600m? With more ram and a 2.4GHz processor, shouldnt i be able to run CS4 nicely on the macbook?

EDIT - so are you guys talking about getting the refurb on the new line? because i just found that, would this work for running CS4? http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw#overview

12. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I have the new 2.0 macbook with 4gb ram and it runs photoshop,illustrator, dreamweaver and such just fine, although I never do any hard task on it I do it on the mac pro, It still flies

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The specs on the 9600 aren't the same as on the 9400. Honestly, if you'rejust starting out, a 2.0 mb will do you just fine. Get a pro machine only if you know you need one. You don't buy a $3K guitar if you're wanting to learn bar chords.