New macboook is a winner: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marklight, Oct 14, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I think it's a homerun. I bought the previous iteration of the macbook pro because the macbook just lacked too much at the time, but if I could choose between the macbook pro and macbook today, I'd go with the macbook. I think it looks great, and the graphics boost it'll receive from the 9400m is great. Not to mention the updated trackpad is nice. Awesome.

2. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

The $1,600 model will become the all-time best-seller. It has *everything* I want. :cool:

3. Munitalp macrumors 65816

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

1600 to get the backlit:(

Hopefully thats something i can do myself with a simple part order tho;)

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't want one, but a lot of people are going to love it. A hit for sure.

6. timestoby macrumors 6502

so they are still gonna sell the white macbook and the new macbook models are abit more expensive? if so then im abit dissappointed cause i wanted to have the macbook with the nvdia graphics,but will just see at the end.

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

hell of a machine

iWant

what is going to be the fate of the blackbook

8. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I think the 1599 will be the next purchase for me. Wife needs a new notebook.

9. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

it has the .4ghz speed bump as well which is pretty significant, as well as 100gb more HD space which is also really nice. I think the 1600 model is awesome.

10. Elaralas macrumors newbie

Auto-Buy

I feel like the entry level of the new Macbooks is just great for me. Has everything the Pro has except Pro graphics, but still has better graphics than previous gen. I will be buying my second Apple computer this weekend, the first being 12 years ago,lol. And I just turn 20 yesterday, great b-day gift to my self

11. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Finally something that sort of fills that 12" PowerBook gap. I know a lot of people who are going to snap these things up and finally retire they're 12 inchers.

Solid update

12. brettinlj macrumors member

So I've been waiting months to pay $1300 for a 2.0Ghz processor. Maybe the overall performance gain will be worth it (but I'm not a gamer). I'm canceling my trip to the Apple store Saturday and am going to wait for some real world, non-gaming benchmarks to come out to decide whether I go for this model or the outgoing 2.4Ghz Blackbook on clearance or used.

In this economy and having to pay graduate school tuition, I need to stretch my dollar as much as I can.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh no i meant its gonna cost me 1600 to get a macbook with the backlit (IM GETTING THAT BACKLIGHT DAMMIT! :p ) keyboard. Im not saying that was the only difference.

14. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahaha, I see. Yea it's pretty nuts to not have it in the lower end model.. can't be that expensive to add it.

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i hear ya...thats the model im getting too...TOMORROW!!! yay!

also, the 1600 model has a backlit keyboard as well...awesome!

16. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I will be lining up at the San Francisco Apple Store tomorrow! :p

But one thing was *not* mentioned: what about easy upgradability? Nothing said about the MacBook! :confused:

17. logicsuggests macrumors member

Totally lame that the base aluminum mac book CPU is 2ghz. - it's like they are forcing themselves not to give it a better cpu because people will then see how pathetically overpriced the mac book pros are.

Lack of tactile feedback on the glass track pad button will be annoying too.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Huh?

19. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Don't knock it until you try it! :cool:

20. brettinlj macrumors member

Jason Chen:
    "To be clear, these two models are going to be on top of the white plastic MacBook which comes at $999."

<Google Translation>

"To be clear, we couldn't unload enough of the old ones during the back to school season, and the average consumer can't afford our new 2.0Ghz baseline Macbook in this economy so we are going to have a fire sale."

21. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

It appears the lower end macbook has the backlit keyboard as well from the store configuration.

22. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

The MacBook in the Uk is now £20 more expensive! Wtf? I thought it was supposed to be cheaper!! :(:(

23. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Sigh at lack of FireWire. Can't believe it actually looks like that. Why the black?
    This will take some time to get used to.

FireWire > backlit.

24. Deschain macrumors member

It's nice, sure, but i'm a little underwhelmed.

The upgraded graphics is nice but i don't game on my macbook (i have a 2.4ghz blackbook) and it still doesn't match my desktop so any heavy lifting is better suited for that anyway.

Backlit keyboard -- looks cool but i don't look at my keys when i type so ultimatley it isn't worth anything to me

Multi touch pad -- nice touch, but, from my experience with the air, i don't really use gestures, being able to scroll with 2 fingers and click with 2 fingers is all i need in my touch pad

Aluminum body -- pretty..that's about it

LED screen -- brightness isn't an issue with my macbook so that isn't an issue, if it improves battery life that is nice (not sure what kind of improvement is expected?)

The new macbook is very nice, it will definitely bring in some new customers but there really isn't much besides a pretty case to make current macbook owners want to switch (except for those who just want the latest and greatest and that is really just an ego thing..)

25. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I am more impressed with the new MB than I am with the Pro. Apple was able to keep the dimensions similar while still reducing the weight.