New machine dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mschield, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mschield macrumors newbie

Hello!

I currently own an old white Macbook from summer 2006. It's in great condition and works pretty well.. still! Reliable little machine. However, I am a digital designer and frequently use Dreamweaver & Photoshop - both of which work alright albeit a tad slow and small on my macbook.

I work fulltime at an office so don't use my macbook during the day, only evenings and weekends. Question is that I'm looking to get a new machine and not sure what would be best for me.

I was planning an base 21" iMac, then I could use my old Macbook for portability. But then I worry i'de get fed up of sitting at a desk at home with iMac and would prefer lounging with Macbook on my lap - therefore wasting the iMac. But then if I got a Macbook Pro I would never make use of the ancient (but perfectly functional) 2006 Macbook.

I have the budget for either iMac or Macbook Pro 15". I know its trivial, but anyone have a suggestion? :confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If You Do

Decide on an iMac, and I'm in a similar line of work video editing, music etc. You don't want that smaller screen.

27" screen, upgrade graphics to2gb and if you can afford it, go for the i7 CPU with 8gb ram.

Dreamweaver et. Al. Will fly, and you wo t waste your iMac.

I have a very high end laptop which vary rarely sees the light of day now

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Refurbished store models may help stretch your budget a bit further. 2010 and 2011 27" i5 and i7 iMacs are selling from $1439 to $1999, depending on processor and SSD choices (no 2gb gpu choices, however).

15" 2010 and 2011 MBP's are selling from $1439 to $2199, depending on processor and storage options.

I think overall, the iMac offers the most bang for the buck, at the loss of portability. But it sounds like you're used to the laptop form factor, but want a bit more oomph with your apps.

The buyer's guide is showing the portable pro', to be approaching the end of it's traditional upgrade cycle, 'but only if you need it'. There's also rumors of a new macbook air inspired design in the works.

That said, it sounds like a Pro and an external monitor may be the best choice for you, maximum real estate when working at a desk, but portability when you want it.

You could possibly go online to the Best Buy site and get a quote for your Macbook, and put that credit towards a new machine.

4. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

If you never need to move your computer, the iMac will obviously have more power to do what you want. But it won't be portable. It really depends on that one thing... :D;)

5. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

If i were you i would get a macbook pro 13 inch along with an external display (these can be had for only 200!)

Take the ancient macbook and give it to a technically deficient family member or sell on ebay/craigslist

Or if you insist on keeping it for yourself, setup a home itunes server on the old macbook!

6. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Whatever you do with the old MacBook, DO NOT take it to Best Buy for a quote. You'd be better off selling it yourself for $200-$400 (depending on specs and condition). An iTunes server or play/test machine is also a practical purpose for the old MacBook.

Personally, I would get the MacBook Pro and the external display. Currently I have the 17 inch and am thinking about getting the ATD for it when it's available. A little redundant with a 17 inch, but I may wait if I decide to go to a 15 inch on the next refresh (or 13 if they bump the resolution and get a dedicated graphics card).

If you do choose iMac, get the 27 inch. WAY better than the 21.5 inch for your purposes.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You've planned it right. I mean get an iMac and keep your Macbook for the sake of portability.

Don't worry about being stucked in the same room because of your iMac. That's a great computer, the cheapest iMac is very comparable to hi-end MBP, for a much much cheaper price. Plus you get a bigger and nicer screen. Even MBP screen is not IPS (yet)!! Big chance you're gonna get stucked on your iMac because you want to or love to .. not because being forced by the job etc :p

Your macbook might be sucky compared to recent Macs. But I really don't care about that. I bought the cheapest Macbook Air for portability, being a secondary machine... it's not necessary to have a great laptop.

What would you do with a laptop anyway? you hardly bring it out. You said it yourself you only use it during your time at home, which rarely happens .. and maybe you just need to bring your laptop on holiday or rare occasion outside .. which means your old macbook still can do that just fine.